Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
TSF - Enthusiast
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put another computer on my network. I have a fairly short cat5 cable that would do the job, but it does not work strangely. I have a verizon fios router , this one.

On the computer that I'm wanting to use, the same wire worked fine, but not with this router.

The only difference is that the strange one has only four wires in the cable, while the ones I'm using now (and got with the router) have all eight

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts
Re: Strange CAT5...

Not going to correct your Latin spelling like I pointed out before?
Ego Sum Deus Quod Malum Caligo et Barathrum

That cable does sound strange in only having 4 wires. Maybe its a console cable which normally isn't used for networking. solution is get a 8 line cable.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

My sig is intended to be taken literally :p

But yeah. I got it a bunch of years ago when I first got DSL. Worked with that router..

In fact I think it may just be a crossover. I remember doing some ptp with my laptop and another computer.. Strange one that.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Hm... odd.. it seems like the strange cable works flawlessly. I mean, it is about an inch shorter then I would like, but it works none the less.. Which is strange, because when I first got the new router it would not work. Now, same PC, same wire, same router...
I tend to not question things like this :p

Thank you for your help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.