Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been using this laptop for a couple of years now, and it's never really given me much trouble along the lines of crashes or BSODs, etc.
Not since i reinstalled windows and bought a proper laptop cooler about a year ago, anyway.
But let me get to the problem; Since roughly 2 days ago, my laptop started freezing and hanging randomly while i was playing the game League of Legends (so far the only game with which it's done these things) however, after a few seconds, (anywhere from ~2-20) it usually clears up again. It's never really done that before... I mean sure, the occasional bit of client lag, but no freezes.
Just so you know, this doesn't happen in every match of LoL(=League of Legends). But, it's quite annoying when it does, for obvious reasons.

This is only part of the problem.
Yesterday night, I left my laptop on to convert a fairly large (1.9Gb) media file with SUPER.
Then after a couple hours of sleep i took a peek at my laptop from over at my bed (in same room) and i noticed some blue colors on my laptop's screen, which was strange, because i'd left the screen off.
So, i checked it out and it turned out to be the login screen for windows.
When i logged back in i saw that windows update had restarted my pc while in the middle of converting said file.
I then tried to start SUPER again to start the conversion over, but it would just hang at half the loading bar and then crash.
I decided to leave it, leaving my pc on and going back to bed.
When i woke up this morning, the screen was turned on again, this time black.
I wrote down the error minus some 'copyright intel' stuff:
Code:
BROADCOM UNDI PXE 2.1 V11.4.1
PXE-E61: MEDIA TEST FAILURE, CHECK CABLE
PXE-M0F: EXITING BROADCOM PXE ROM

BROADCOM UNDI PXE 2.1 V11.4.1
PXE-E61: MEDIA TEST FAILURE, CHECK CABLE
PXE-M0F: EXITING BROADCOM PXE ROM
I could not get out of the error screen otherwise, so i hard shutdown my laptop.
It then booted, offering to start in safe mode, but i chose start normally and i'm writing this forum post on it now. (It's been running smoothly for about an hour now)
My question is, what caused the error, and could the LoL freezes/hangs be related?
-MickeyXD

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Re: Strange B(lack)SOD

My girlfriend just had a similar problem this morning with her laptop. Turned out it was the hard drive connection on the laptop. Despite having screws to hold it in place, it had migrated a minute distance from the motherboard connector. I removed it and re-inserted it.

To do so:
  • Shut down and turn off the computer
  • Remove the AC Adapter
  • Remove the battery
  • Hold down the power button for 15-30 seconds to close the circuit and drain any residual power
  • Remove the panel on the underside of the laptop where the hard disk is housed
  • Remove and re-insert the hard disk by sliding it away from the connector and then gently but firmly pressing it back into the connector (you may need to remove screws on some systems to do this step; consult your system manual for steps to replace the hard drive)
  • Replace the panel on the underside of the laptop to cover the hard disk
  • Replace the battery
  • Replace the AC Adapter
  • Turn on the computer and see how it responds
Post back once these steps have been implemented whether the system is stable.

I would also advise that you run a disk check with both boxes checked to check the drive for any bad sectors and for corruption.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I ran a disk check (without any boxes checked) on my laptop's hdd, these are the results.

I should mention, i also have an external 1TB HDD, but since that does not house my OS, i don't think that could've caused the error.

To be completely honest, i'm a tad hesitant to attempt the steps you have described. I have never done anything of the sort, you see.
I'm reasonably tech-savvy, but only when it comes to software, which is why i'm concerned that if i were to do this, i might break something.
I do believe that i'm perfectly capable of re-inserting my laptop's HDD, but quite frankly, i don't see a good enough reason to do so.
For now, this black screen of death remains a one-time occurrence, but if it were to happen again, i'd know what steps to take to prevent it happening again, thanks to your post.
Basically, what i'm saying is; Unless this error happens again, i don't feel comfortable messing around with my laptop's hardware.
Don't get me wrong though, i do appreciate your help, and i now know how to fix it if it happens again.
However, if not fixing it could damage my hard drive or motherboard, please do let me know.
Because in that case i will, of course, get over myself and fix it.

I'm about to start a disk check with both boxes checked, will post back the results.
-MickeyXD

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I just ran the disk check with both boxes checked, but there aren't really any results to post; After it was done the PC just booted as normal.
So unless there's a log somewhere, ^
-MickeyXD

·
Registered
3,036 Posts

The disk check is probably enough for now. If the media message occurs again, I would advise going through those steps as that would indicate a more pressing concern, but for now, proceed as normal with a lookout for any strange behavior.

Did you run the disk check on all drives on the system?

For the disk check logs: You can find them using Event Viewer. In Event Viewer, expand Windows Logs, click Application to let it load, right click Application and click Find.... Search for chkdsk or wininit to find the logs.
For any drives that do not give the message:
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems​
run disk check again as above. In other words, if it says:
Windows has made corrections to the file system​
after running the disk check, run the disk check again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I only ran the disk check on C:\ since that's the drive windows is installed on.
I'll check my external HDD too.
And yes, on C:\, 'Windows has made corrections to the file system' did appear, so i'll have to run the disk check again. Also, just in case you need it, here's the full log:
Code:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
Cleaning up instance tags for file 0x30178.
Cleaning up instance tags for file 0x3017b.
428032 file records processed.
File verification completed.
505 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.
0 EA records processed.
44 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
569732 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.
0 unindexed files recovered.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
428032 file SDs/SIDs processed.
Cleaning up 1221 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1221 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1221 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is compacting the security descriptor stream 70851 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
37319416 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
428016 files processed.
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
34727219 free clusters processed.
Free space verification is complete.
Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.
246501371 KB total disk space.
106894436 KB in 322115 files.
158872 KB in 70854 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
539183 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
138908880 KB available on disk.
4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
61625342 total allocation units on disk.
34727220 allocation units available on disk.
Internal Info: 00 88 06 00 09 ff 05 00 1e 3a 0a 00 00 00 00 00 .........:......
d7 0b 00 00 2c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ....,...........
70 98 25 00 50 01 24 00 98 24 24 00 00 00 24 00 p.%.P.$..$$...$.
Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.
EDIT: Also, thanks for introducing me to Event Viewer, it's a wonderful application =)

·
Registered
3,036 Posts

More than likely, the Windows drive is the only one that was corrupted. I usually also run a disk check outside Windows through the Windows Recovery Options to check the System Reserved partition where the boot files reside. The System Reserved partition is very small, so the disk check only takes a matter of seconds. Up to you whether you want to do so. Below are instructions for running a disk check outside of Windows.

Perform a Disk Check Outside Windows Vista or Windows 7

WARNING:
  • You may want to backup your important files prior to running a disk check. A disk check with the /r flag can cause files to be incomplete if there are bad sectors on the hard disk; this is due to the recovery of bad sectors and possible problems recovering the data within those sectors. To backup your files: Copy and Paste Outside Windows Vista or Windows 7.

Access a Command Prompt using the Windows Install Disc:

1. Insert the Windows Installation Media and restart your system.
    • Before you can use the installation media, configure your BIOS for the proper boot order. The installation media should be the first option in the boot menu, i.e. your CD/DVD drive or USB drive.

• Refer to your system manual for steps to enter the BIOS and change boot order settings. Most system manuals can be found online through the system manufacturer (Dell, HP, etc.) or motherboard manufacturer (Gigabyte, ASUS, etc.).

• If you cannot find your installation media, please contact your system manufacturer (Dell, HP, etc.) to replace missing recovery discs or contact Microsoft to replace a missing retail copy. If you were not provided with installation media, you may need to purchase a retail copy from an online or local store.

2. Press a key when given the message to Press any key to boot from CD or DVD...

3. You'll see a screen that says Windows is loading files...; this may take a few minutes depending on the speed of your DVD drive or USB drive.

4. Choose your installation options and click Next.

5. Choose Install Now.

6. Press Shift + F10 when the installer loads.

Access a Command Prompt from the Windows System Recovery Options:

Access the Windows Recovery Options and then select Command Prompt.

Run the Disk Check:

1. Once you have a command prompt available, do the following with all possible drive letters until you get the message that the volume could not be opened for direct access.
    NOTE:
    • If you have an ssd, use the /f switch instead of the /r switch.
    Code:
    chkdsk /r c:
    chkdsk /r d:
    chkdsk /r e:
    chkdsk /r f:

2. For any drives that do not finish without problems, run the disk check again as above. The message when the disk check finds no problems is:

Windows has checked the file system and found no problems​

In other words, if the message is as follows after running the disk check, run the disk check again.

Windows has made corrections to the file system​

3. I realize you may only have one disk show up in Windows explorer, but you may have more than one disk through recovery options. This is because the system creates a hidden boot partition (which will be C: in recovery), you may have a recovery partition for your PC that is hidden (which will be D: in recovery), and you will have your primary Windows partition (which may be E: in recovery). A custom PC will likely have at least C: and D: to scan.

4. Also, if asked whether you would like to force a dismoount on any volumes, choose Y for yes. That message just means the volume is currently being accessed, but dismounting it will not cause any harm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I ran the disk check again, everything seems to be fine with the HDDs.
As for the disk check outside the OS, to be perfectly honest that doesn't really seem worth the effort. Since the notebook works fine at the moment, anyway.
Thank you for your help. If i ever get that message again, I'll take those steps you outlined, but i don't think it'll happen again.
-MickeyXD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.