Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I've had some serious computer issues. It all started with my graphic card, then with a new HDD I bought, replaced it and waiting for the replacement now, and then it struck an old HDD!

Link to HiJackThis Log-thread:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/security-center/hijackthis-log-help/154483-stop-error-while-playing-games.html

Link to video card support-thread:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/f24/stop-error-while-playing-games-155948.html

My current system spec:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual core processor 2ghz
Motherboard: NVidia nForce 3 250
RAM: DIMM3: Corsair CMX1024-3200C2 x2
PSU: Cooler Master iGreen Power 600W PSU ATX 2.0
Graphic Card: nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 (MSI G4Ti4200)
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 730BF
HDD1: SAMSUNG SV6003H 60gb
(Split up in 2 partitions)
HDD2: Maxtor 80gb
HDD3: Seagate Barracuda ST3400620A 400GB
(I bought this same time as I bought the PSU)

Btw, all the HDD:s are IDE

The story:
It all started with me getting stop-errors with my graphic card. At the end the card stopped working completely as you can see. (I bought the PSU, tested it and then decided to use the old card + put in the new HDD)

I continued to use my computer happy that I finally had a working one. After a while I had STOP: 0x0000009C-errors running the computer. I figured it would be because of the new HDD was faulty or something.

I tested it all, and I was right. When the new HDD was plugged in I only got the error. I have warranty and am now having a new one sent to me. In the meanwhile I thought I could suffice with the two old HDDs only.

Only two days ago, I started getting the same error (I think).

The exact error:
MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x8054D5F0, 0xb2000000, 0x00070f0f)

I tested unplugging the HDD2, and then the computer worked again.

BUT, what if something in the computer burnt up the graphic card, hdd3 and 2? Any thoughts?

I tested the RAM by replacing with working RAM, I tested the different expansion slots for the RAM. I don't have any CPU to replace and test, and same for MoBo. I could be arsed replacing the PSU with the old one, but I wanted to ask for advice first.

I googled STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x8054D5F0, 0xb2000000, 0x00070f0f) and found a lot of fishy problems, most of them related to my CPU, or similar models of it. Then again, it could all be an coincident.

Also, I'm not sure this is the right place for this thread. Please move it accordingly. :laugh: Anyways, tech away, and thanks for any help available!

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
Re: STOP: 0x0000009C and loads of problems

Hi,

Make sure the computer isn't overheating and that the voltages are OK. You can use SensorsView (link in my signature) for that. Are the fans and heatsinks clean?

Run MemTest (link below).

I have moved this thread to the "Motherboards, Bios & CPU" forum.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

I don't have any floppy, and no burner, so the memtest will be a problem

I will clean the heatsinks properly tomorrow, the fans are alright.

And thanks for moving the thread to the right place

Anyways, here the sensorsview

·
Registered
25,116 Posts

usually those type of error messages point to some serious software bugs

I personally would erase the drive and start with a new clean install of win xp

I use dariks boot n nuke (free) to wipe and erase the drive >>>>> make sure you pull the power plug from any drives you dont want erased, boot n nuke can wipe multiple drives simultanously :eek:

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

then boot from the win xp cd and install win xp

dont import any data from the old drive / download all new versions of stuff you use if possible until you can verify stability is achieved or not achieved ???????????

use all the newest available drivers when installing drivers for your new install

keep us posted with your progress

·
Registered
455 Posts

Do you have the Nvidia IDE drivers installed? They're known to cause this stop error.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

usually those type of error messages point to some serious software bugs

I personally would erase the drive and start with a new clean install of win xp

I use dariks boot n nuke (free) to wipe and erase the drive >>>>> make sure you pull the power plug from any drives you dont want erased, boot n nuke can wipe multiple drives simultanously :eek:

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

then boot from the win xp cd and install win xp

dont import any data from the old drive / download all new versions of stuff you use if possible until you can verify stability is achieved or not achieved ???????????

use all the newest available drivers when installing drivers for your new install

keep us posted with your progress
As I said earlier to eneles I don't have any floppy drive nor CD burner. Is it possible to boot it from an USB memory?

Do you have the Nvidia IDE drivers installed? They're known to cause this stop error.
Yes I do. Do you think it could be the cause?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts

yes you can boot from USB stick /thumb drive

the instructions on how to boot from a USB flash drive are on the dban website ???????????????

BTW: after the clean install is completed / I would look for a newer or different set of motherboard chipset drivers / did you get your current version form the motherboard manufacturer's website ????

·
Registered
25,116 Posts

I think what he means; he doesnt have a writable cd drive to make the bootable disks to run memtest and make a boot n nuke disk ?????????????

use the usb stick

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I think what he means; he doesnt have a writable cd drive to make the bootable disks to run memtest and make a boot n nuke disk ?????????????

use the usb stick
That's what I meant :D

You're probably right Linderman.
BTW, what were the temps in SensorsView?
Look above on the screen. Looks cool enough to me. On heavy load it peeks a bit higher of course. But not much above 50 degrees C on the CPU

Anyways, one last question before I'm off for the night. What do I set the boot priority to, to boot the USB stick? Floppy, or is there an USB bootable option?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts

there should be a usb device boot option in the boot priority

·
Registered
455 Posts

Yes I do. Do you think it could be the cause?
It won't do any harm to remove the Nvidia IDE drivers, so it's worth a try. Right click both entries under the one you have highlighted and select uninstall. Reboot and Windows will install it's own IDE drivers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

How long do I need to run Memtest? It's been running for 12 hours now with 9 passes, 0 errors. Would it be enough?

·
Registered
23,001 Posts

Yes, that's enough. So it's not a RAM error.
Did you try removing the nVidia IDE driver, like peterdiva suggested?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

A little problem with the uninstallation of the nVidia IDE driver.

I uninstall, prompts to reboot and so I do. When it's rebooted it reinstalled itself to the nVidia IDE driver.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.