Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I foolishly allowed Symantec to remotely access my computer and now I have a recurring error every time I startup:

Windows cannot install the "sonic activation module" (which I don't even need, as far as I know) and I need to insert the CD (which I don't have)

I have tried several things to avoid this problem, including removing everything with the word Sonic in it from my program files and following the advice posted on a previous link (May 2010) on this site. Nothing works!

Any help will be appreciated. Symnatec, which created the problem, says they are "not in a position to help."

·
TSF Enthusiast
601 Posts
Re: Sonic Activation Module Error

you don't say what advice it was from the previous link, so here goes: sounds as if something is trying to start with the pc, so try going to start, run, msconfig, click on the start up tab. Do you see anything relating to sonic that is ticked - if so untick it. If this is the thing you have already tried I apologise, can you post back and let us know if this helped.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thank you for your response. I didn't list all the things I've tried because there are so many, I frankly can't remember. But there are at least 2 older threads on this site about this same problem and I tried all of the suggestions (or at least I think I have done all those things). One thing was removing everything in my program files that said "sonic" in the name.

I tried your msconfig suggestion, but I don't see anything that is related to sonic in my startup list. I wonder if there is something that is related to sonic, but isn't named that, so I can't find it?

stsystra is listed as a startup item, for example, as an stsystra.exe command

There are many like that which I cannot identify. Any hints on what a sonic activation module startup item would be called, if not "sonic" something?

Thanks.

·
TSF Enthusiast
601 Posts

hi, thanks for replying. Now, I have sonic on my old Dell, so when I was on their forum I researched the issue. Advice was given to look for "ISUSPM" and "issch" in the start up folder and untick them. If this doesn't work for you or these do not appear, apparently there is something on the roxio help site. (I think sonic is owned by roxio). Now, I can remember myself getting messages about sonic (this was soon after I got my laptop), and in those days Sonic appeared in the start up folder! Times change. I also found the attached page on Dell which references the windows installer clean up tool, which may be more helpful for you.
http://support.dell.com/support/top...&s=bsd&docid=2108C96ECBF7ACFFE0401E0A55175126
I hope there is something here which is helpful to you - can you post back and let me know?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I went into my startup and unchecked both ISUSPM and issch but it made no difference. Same error message about Sonic on start up. Also had a pop up message telling me I was in selective start up mode now and that I should switch back to standard, so I undid that change.

I think I have already read that article on Dell and it wasn't helpful, but I will try it out again. I'll let you know if it helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

That page gives instructions about how to uninstall Microsoft Office, various versions and suites. I don't want to uninstall that. I need to uninstall Sonic only (whatever that even is). I am worried that if I follow the advice of this help page, that I will uninstall much more than I need to and leave myself without word processing and other software I need. SO I don't want to try that method.

I need to uninstall Sonic/Roxio only.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

I started with trying to uninstall sonic from my control panel. That didn't do the the trick. So, I went into programs and manually deleted everything with the word "sonic" in its name. Still doesn't stop the problem.

As for Roxio, I am afraid to delete all those programs, because I *think* that's what opens whenever I burn a CD or DVD and I don't want to lose the ability to burn CDs and DVDs. How can I know that will fix the problem? And if it doesn't, then how would I get Roxio back to use it?

·
TSF Enthusiast
601 Posts

hi, when you received the computer did you get any disks with it - not just the operating system but program disks too? Some companies provide disks for programs they have installed prior to sale.

Both CCleaner and Spybot have a start up section - if you already have either of these programs, access that start up section and see if sonic is ticked to start with the computer. (In spybot you have to be in advanced mode). I have myself found that even after unticking something in msconfig it still appears ticked in spybot startup - not sure if this happens with everyone.

Finally, many people recommend revo uninstaller - you could have a look at this program and see if you wish to try it.

Sorry that nothing suggested so far has done the trick - hopefully something above will help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Hi. I have a resolution, so I wanted to post to help others. I am not sure how much help it will be since I don't know the details of why it worked, but this is what happened.

I ended up calling a computer pro to come to my house (cost $42 for 20 mins; I had a lightening-related problem which was the main reason I needed him). He went to run, msconfig, startup, then unchecked SEVERAL items on the list. None of them were obviously Sonic or Roxio (I had already tried to find anything like that myself), but something he unchecked must have been it because that's all it took to stop the annoying error message. If he had to guess, he said it was probably the item DMXLauncher, but he was just guessing on that.

I never did try the suggestions posted by auntiej on 8-15-2010, because the computer pro did the trick, so I don't know if they would have worked or not. Thanks for trying to help me though.

·
TSF Enthusiast
601 Posts

hi nrmarcus, glad you finally found a solution. dmxlauncher is to do with dell media experience, and hopefully this will help anyone else with the same issue that searches this forum!

Incidentally can I ask you to close this topic as it is now solved?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.