Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just newly reformatted & installed windows xp onto my computer.

Going through some web pages, everything seemed fine so far; but when i typed in a search on youtube, i got these characters that appear as boxes with numbers in them.

I tried selecting a diff encoding besides UTF-8 from view>character encoding, but i just got similar results...only with different unknown characters/symbols.

Is it possible i can maybe update my fonts/character list to fix this? i figured the character could not be rendered/recognized, because it was not available from the list...

or does anybody have a solution?

Screencaps:

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,619 Posts
Re: Some characters appear as boxes with numbers in them?

If the encoding is correct the numbers indicate that these are japanese characters. Unless you are using a font that is capable of displaying these characters the above will be the result. Most Windows versions will have few if any of these fonts.

By configuring the fonts in your browser you may be able to display these characters. But unless you read the language it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Some characters appear as boxes with numbers in them?

Ah ok, i already solved the problem yesterday. I went over to the control panel, to that language settings thing, installed the east asian package from my sp3 cd. Shouldve just configured it from by browser like you said...then i wouldnt have had to install anything

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.