Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a table that shows what cpu's are equal to? i.e. which are dual core, which are quad core, which are celeron, etc? I am shopping for a new one and find only socket xyz, socket abc, etc.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Re: Socket xyz??

Could you be a little more definitive about what information you want?
If you already have a Mobo, the manufacturer's site will have a CPU Support list.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

If you post your requirements someone could easily direct you to what you need.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I have a blueray player. In order to take advantage of the features I have to have at least a dual core cpu/mobo combo. I am trying to find the cheapest option out there - probably will look for used parts to make it happen. I am planning on getting a quad in about a year but that is not a possibility now. I don't have enough Ben Franklins. I know that Pentium D is dual core but not sure if it is powerful enough to do the job. At any rate, they are pretty cheap now. Then there is the issue of the videocard.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

If we knew the Brand & Model of your Mobo we could suggest a CPU.
If we know your system specs we could advice on what you need to be play Blu-Ray.
Pre-Built Brand & Model Number
Custom Built-Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.
Note that you will most likely not see any quality difference with a Blu-Ray over a DVD.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I have no system now that will play blueray. no cpu, no mobo. That is the problem. My p4 will work as a dvd player but not play the blue ray. I need to buy a mobo, cpu, memory and video card. I cannot afford state of the art right now, so am trying to become familiar with my options so that I can shop for a second hand.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

I have no system now that will play blueray. no cpu, no mobo. That is the problem. My p4 will work as a dvd player but not play the blue ray. I need to buy a mobo, cpu, memory and video card. I cannot afford state of the art right now, so am trying to become familiar with my options so that I can shop for a second hand.
That's what we need to know. Go to the link Dblanchard1278 posted.
We have compiled a list of PC's from $500 to $2000 and they all use top quality hardware.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.