Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, my problem is, i got a free computer on a goverment scheme so all kids can:upset: have access to a computer, unfortunately it is blocking social network sites (facebook) etc which my daughter (age 13) needs to communicate with her school friends, i have checked the firewall,everything seems ok there also checked parental controls and nothing is there to suggest anything is being blocked but blocked they are can anybody out there help please!!

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts
Re: social network

locate and rename the hosts file [no extension] to hosts.old. Reboot and try accessing facebook again.

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts

which part? find the file or rename it?

Here is a skill building exercise:
Open explorer.
Select Search.
Select your c: drive [assuming this is where windows folder is located]
search for "hosts"

When you see c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts you have found the correct file.

Then type cd\windows\system32\drivers\etc and hit enter
Then type rename hosts hosts.old and hit enter.

Another useful tool is using internet search. For example you can type into google
how to rename the hosts file

Give it a try. You will be surprised to how easy this is.

·
Registered
142 Posts

or inc:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc just right click the host file and unmark as read only, open the host file in notepad and delete any lines containing any social networking sites, save, put it back to read only and walla.

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts

If he isn't familiar with the contents of a hosts file how is he going to know what to delete?
Rename is quick & easy and either will be successful after a reboot or it won't be so we can move on to the next step.

·
Registered
142 Posts

fair enough, my way would work too since i'm sure he can manage to delete a couple lines of text which have a web address for a social network but whatever don't care.

·
Registered
40,877 Posts

To clear up what ajax088 said, browse to C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc. Open the Hosts file with Notepad. Delete all lines after 127.0.0.1 localhost. Save the file and try the internet again.

·
Registered
142 Posts

thank you, maybe i shouldn't have stopped drinking coffee, seems i might have made my answer a little lazily, i apologise.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

thanks to you all for your help, unfortunately we are all not computer literate but we are willing to learn off people like yourselves who take time out to help the unfortunates, thanks again and keep up the good work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.