Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i have this wierd thing in my screen, its like a webpage i cannot delete,
i have tried simple options such as:
Restart Computer
Ctrl+ALT+DEL
And such methods

i was thinking it may be a proccess of some sort.
Please help, its really annoying :4-dontkno.

Ill post pic ASAP. ^^^^^

·
Security Team , Visiting Trainee (247)
1,070 Posts
Re: Small annoying thing in the middle of my screen

hi, try this method to solve this problem. right click on any empty are in your desktop then choose properties. then click the desktop tab at the top, click customize desktop. then click the web tab and uncheck any links there and remove them.
also the list of processes will also help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

ive uninstalled WoW Aswell, still nope. so yer, it was from a website called bots4runescape.com which my brother plays on and all of a sudden it came up...

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

Well the abbreviations really are not needed but if they are actually part of the problem I would try to find out what they really mean? PS I am old enough to know but we do have younger audience that does not need this sort of stuff.

Have you tried right clicking and see if you can get properties to show?

Also have you tried a system restore to a couple of days before this showed up?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

K sorry thor, i can bring up properties but i have no way of cancelling it from there which i have tried. i did'nt do a system restore as far as i can remember when it happened 3 months ago. It also has disturbed my gameplay as it pops up when im playing WoW and whenever i click where it is it leads me off WoW which is very annoying.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

The easiest way of getting rid of it is actually a lot of work. If you have had this for three months then finding out what it is is going to be an act of futility.

You are going to need the system recovery/restore disk and all of the disks to re-install every thing. Please follow the instrructions below:

You might have to remove the hard drive from this computer and install it in another computer as a slave drive and after it is able to be accessed by Windows on that computer you will have to manually backup all of your important data that you have to another media like CD-R's, DVD or or external hard drive. Then when this is done return it to the original computer as a master drive on the primary IDE cable and do the following:

I hope you have the Windows software for this machine. Please use Internet Explorer to view this article

Microsoft KB - How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP =
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,398 Posts

It may be necessary to follow ThorXP's advice but before doing that let's consider some other, less drastic things. First, is the popup always there or does it appear at random? Is it just on the desktop or does it appear when you have other programs open? Have your tried removing the underlying program using the Windows Installer Clean Up utility? If not, check in C:\program files to see if you have this. If not it can be downloaded from here. Once downloaded and installed, go to C:\program files\windows installer clean up. There you will find a file msicuu.exe. Run this and see if your program is listed in the box. If so, select it and click on remove. If that doesn't work, post back.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

Hi Johnthe Pilot, I thought of that but you would have to know the name of the program that is causing this to appear and after three months finding it is going to be difficult, one other thing the Microsoft cleanup utility is a little bit dangerous to use if you were to click select all then it would literally clean out everything from windows thus trashing the computer, I have seen it happen.

If the member is going to use this I would only highlight the program that is causing the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

Well tbh im not that good with computers so i suppose ill leave, way to confusing for me unless someone has a simple method. i could print a screen of the properties if wanted.
btw the little white popup thing is random and IS a website.

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,398 Posts

It doesn't look as though anyone has anything simpler I'm afraid. Try following the instructions I gave for Windows Installer Clean Up. It's not that difficult. Just remember, as with any major change, to make a backup of important files first.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.