Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rather big problem, when I shut down my computer at any given time I have to hit the logoff function 3 -5 times before it actually goes into shutdown mode.
Is this a registry issue? What do I need to do to correct this issue?

All help appreciated at this moment in time.

T51

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Re: slow shut downs

I would say it is very unlikely to be a registry issue, more likely just waiting for many programs to shut down or potentially a malware issue.

---

Just one thing though, from what you said, it sounds like you are clicking 'log-off' to shut down? Can't you click on 'shut-down'?

---

I suggest the first thing you try is to close all the programs you have running, and then try shutting down (by clicking on the shutdown button). See if this has made any difference.

---

I also suggest you carry out a clean up of your system, removing junk and carrying out a defrag.

To carry out a clean, you can use CCleaner, CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download, however stay away from the registry cleaning section, as it is unlikely to give you any benefits and cause potential damage.

Don't forget, you could also run the in-built Disk Cleanup inside XP.

To defrag, as you are using XP, you could just use the inbuilt one, alternatively you could use defraggler, Defraggler - File and Disk Defragmentation - Free Download.

--

Any more information might help. For example, did the slow shutdowns only just start? Have you tried running an anti-virus/malware scan?

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
Re: slow shut downs

what he said ^

If you are running lots of programs or services (which you might not see) then when you hit shutdown those programs have to be terminated safely before the computer can shutdown.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.