Specs:
Asus P5N-E SLI
Intel Q6600 2.4ghz
Micron 4GB RAM
2x 320GB SATA Hitachi
1x 200GB IDE Seagate Baracuda 7200
nVidia 9600gt
Ultra 600Wat PSU
Ever since i bought my new motherboard (Asus P5N-E SLI) and SATA hard drives, my IDE hard drive was messing up. I can not load up Windows on it. When i install Winxp x64 on one of my 320gb hard drives, it loads but not fast. Before WinXP loads (progress bar and logo) the screen stays balck for about 20secs or so before it reaches the load screen. And right before it reaches the load screen, there is a gray load bar on the bottom of the screen. Then comes the GUI progress bar. It takes about another 40secs for it to fully load into windows. When I unplug the IDE hard drive, the gray load bar does not appear and the load time is very quick, 15 seconds or so. Also, when I try to transfer data from SATA hard drive to IDe, 3gigs would take around 25mins or so. Is there a way I can fix this issue?
Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: Slow Boot Time, Slow Transfer Rates(Hard drive to hard drive)

Transferring files from SATA to IDE is a process- and IDE is no where near as fast as SATA, so you can expect some transfer times there. For the boot issue, it sounds like the computer is confused on what to load at first. Check your startup and recovery options by right-clicking my computer, advanced, startup and recovery, and see if multiple opearting systems are there. If so, remove the one that you know you don't want to load by editing the file.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts

Go into your BIOS first of all. Check that you have your SATA drive set as the primary boot device. This will hopefully take care of the delay during boot.

As for the file transfer times, go into your device manager (right click My Computer > Properties > Hardware (tab) > Device Manager. In the window that loads expand the category for "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers". Right click on Primary IDE Channel and choose Properties.

In the new window that loads click the Advanced Settings tab and ensure that the transfer mode is set to DMA if available. If it is not, then that is your problem. You can also check this for the secondary IDE channel, but if your harddrive is not connected to your secondary channel then it would be pointless.

Attachments

·
7,738 Posts

That's your problem. In your first screenshot it becomes clear that you do not have any drive hooked up as your Primary Master, which is where your IDE harddrive should be connected.

Furthermore, your Primary Slave is operating in PIO mode which is INSANELY slow (especially when compared to your SATA drive). We are talking about 25MB/s MAX transfer rate vs your SATA which is 3.0GB/s

Whichever device you have connected to your secondary channel is operating normally and is probably fairly quick...I'm guessing that is a cd or dvd drive of some sort.

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Yes it is my DVD Drive. So i should switch it to primary? and what mode should it be set at?

·
7,738 Posts

Open your case, move your IDE harddrive to the end of the ribbon cable, right now it should be connected to the connector in the middle of the ribbon cable. Make sure the jumpers on the drive have the drive set as the Master or at CS (cable select). Now when you boot up, check back in the Primary IDE Channel Properties and see if it is recognizing the device 0.

You will want it to be operate at Ultra DMA Mode 4.

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I do not know the jumper settings on my hard drive. There are no pictures or text that tell me where to stick the pin in.

·
7,738 Posts

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

ah i love this forum. Will also contribute. I will try this now and tell you how it turns out.
Thanks

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

Did not solve it :( . It is under device type 0 but still PIO Mode., and I cannot edit it. Could there be something in BIOS that i can modify?

Upadte:
I took pictures of the pins on my hard drive i think one of them is pushed in. Should i pull it out with pliars?

Attachments

·
7,738 Posts

One of the pins is supposed to be absent, but if you are missing 2 pins then there is something to worry about.

My first guess as to why you cannot get the drive out of PIO mode is because of the IDE Ribbon cable you are using is probably a 40 pin cable instead of an 80 pin cable. The cables look pretty similar except that the 40 pin cable has larger wires whereas the 80pin cable has a bunch of very fine wires.

edit: Here is a site with a good description of the differences in the two cables. http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

you can see in the picture that the one near the absent one is pushed in. Uneven from the rest.

·
7,738 Posts

Sorry it was hard to see in those pictures, but yes that could potentially be your problem. Verify that you are using the correct cable.

If it is still in PIO mode you may have to send it in and get it repaired, I'm not entirely sure there. I will see if I can get someone from the hardware team over and see what they recommend as far as repairing that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.