Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure whether this should be in the PC games support thread or this one, but considering its my graphics cards that are the problem (I think) I posted it here.

Just bought a new 8600GT to run in SLI with my other one, hoping to be able to play games at a decent setting only to find that all my games crash because of it. Games play between 15 minutes and a few seconds depending on gpu demand; screen locks up, sound loops, sometimes get the blue screen of death.

So far I've downloaded the latest drivers, tested both cards and they work fine individually and tried without SLI bridge and still no luck. Temps are fine (50 C-idle, 65C-gaming) and my 700 watt psu should be enough...

So, any ideas?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: SLI causing games to crash

What games are you trying to run. Whats the resolution and graphics settings. If your trying to run something like Crysis or Farcry 2 maxed out you may not have enough memory(64 bit takes more). Try dropping your resolution to something like 1280/1024. If you get longer game play then you are running out of memory. Had the same problem when I ran 2 gigs on 32 bit. I just dropped the resolution and graphics way down and slowly worked my up until I got stability with the best graphics possible.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Well nothing like Crysis or Far Cry 2, just Company of Heroes, World in Confict and Hells highway. The resolution is 1400x900 though and in DirectX 10 but settings are only at medium to low else the frame rate falls through the floor.

I take your meaning however, I will set everything to lowest possible and work from there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Ok, just tried out some games at lowest settings and lowest resolution. World in Conflict lasted as long as it did on my previous settings, same with hells highway. Oddly Company of Heroes lasted less time than on higher settings and resolution before crashing...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Fixed it!
Turns out that actually installing an older driver did the trick. I think the Geforce 180 series drivers have trouble with the 8000 series cards in SLI.

So, Wooooo!:grin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.