Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a home network (peer to peer) with 4 computers connected via a Netgear non-wireless modem/router. One of my computers is a dual boot Windows Vista and Windows 7 machine and the other 3 computers are Windows XP. I have a priinter connected locally to the dual boot computer.

When I boot into Windows Vista I am able to share folders (both directions) and the local printer with the Windows XP computers. However, when I boot into Windows 7 I can only see and shared files that are on the XP computers but the XP computers cannot share files and the printer on the Windows 7 computer.

On the XP computers, I can see the Windows 7 computer in Network Places and when I click on this computer a window pops up "Connect to DellStudio" windows opens asking for a password. DellStudio is the name I gave to the dual boot computer. I do not have a password on the Windows 7 computer and so I clicked on OK but get a futher message stating that the Windows 7 computer is not accessable and that I may not have permission to access the computer.

I have shared my data folder on the dual boot computer with shares for "Everybody" but still can't access this folder.

Any ideas why it works in Vist and not in Window 7?

· Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Re: Shares between Windows 7 & Windows XP

As I did not have login passwords on my XP computers it appears that the only way to get access to my shared files was to turn file sharing password protection off on my WIndows 7 computer. By doing so, I now have access to these files from all my computers. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.