Tech Support banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've attached the message. The instructions to find the logs don't seem to work, but even if I found them, I don't have the background to fix them. Is there software that can do the job?
sfc.jpg

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,261 Posts
Run DISM and then try SFC again ....

In an elevated command prompt, type the following command ...

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

.... and allow DISM to complete. You'll need an active connection for this as DISM needs to connect to Microsoft's server to get the necessary system image it needs to work.

Once that has completed, in an elevated command prompt, type ...

SFC /scannow

... and with any luck it should now complete its scan successfully.

The reason for this is as follows ...

DISM repairs the system file source cache in the WinSxS folder. This is the source that SFC pulls from, to repair system files if needed. Now if the system file source cache is corrupted and not fixed with DISM repair first, then SFC end up pulling files from a corrupted source to fix problems.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Run DISM and then try SFC again ....

In an elevated command prompt, type the following command ...

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

.... and allow DISM to complete. You'll need an active connection for this as DISM needs to connect to Microsoft's server to get the necessary system image it needs to work.

Once that has completed, in an elevated command prompt, type ...

SFC /scannow

... and with any luck it should now complete its scan successfully.

The reason for this is as follows ...
Thanks. By elevated, do you mean "As Administrator?". I never noticed that term in the right-click options. One idea I found online was to run sfc in Safe Mode. Since this is marginally more straightforward, I will try it first.

·
1,261 Posts
Yes, by elevated I mean run as Administrator.

If the files in your WinSxS folder have been corrupted, then running SFC in safe mode will not be any more effective than it was in Normal Mode.

The only advantage that booting to safe mode has, is that you do not boot as many services and processes, so if a 3rd party device is causing the problem, then it's worth doing, but otherwise probably not.

·
1,261 Posts
It's getting late here, so I probably won't see any reply you post before tomorrow morning (my time GMT), so if DISM doesn't resolve things, you might have to consider performing a repair install, in which case the instructions for doing so can be found at ....

Since some data is lost doing a repair install (article explains what is kept), hopefully it won't come to that.

I've presumed you're using W10, if you're using an earlier version of Windows, then the instructions for a repair install are a little different, so please let me know if that's the case.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
ALL DONE! I have never been able to use that location. It just doesn't comport with what I see in Explorer. No Logs folder directly under Windows.
sucsess.jpg

·
1,261 Posts
Don't have a copy of W10 available at the moment, so can't check to see whether the Windows/Logs folder is hidden or not. It's not on the W8.1 machine I'm using at the moment.

That being said, CBS.log files tend to be long, and not particularly informative, so for that reason aren't exactly the easiest to read, so unless you're particularly anxious to have a look at yours, then provided everything otherwise is now working the way it should, then I think you can mark this topic as Solved.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,212 Posts
Logs aren't hidden if user goes to Event Viewer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts