Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
**Requesting moderator to move to PC gaming forum if possible! Thank you.**

Good evening TechSupport members,
Long time reader, first time posting! I am experiencing difficulties running an old DirectX6 16bit game of mine in Windows XP Pro (SP3 - fully updated). Amusingly, the game is called 'Space Bunnies Must Die!' (don't ask...)

The issue I'm having is when the game loads in, I'm able to see the HUD and what not, however - the 3D game itself is full of artifacts, strange colors, stretching polygons and to top it off - the screen flickers very rapidly. After doing a bit of research, I've come to the conclusion that it must be a videocard related issue as turning off 3D Hardware in the games options (usually) allows me to play the game fine, albeit in software mode and as a result, looks bad.

I have tried a bunch of things. Disabling and unplugging my secondary monitor, trying compatability modes from Windows 95 to Windows 2000, forcing Vsync off/on, reinstalled DirectX off the games disk, changing resolutions, setting my desktop to 16Bit color, booting XP with 1 core, disabling visual themes, forcing 640x480 and probably more that I can't think of at the moment. The game is just being very stubborn and refuses to play with hardware acceleration. I'm able to run DirectX7 and later games with no issue whatsoever.

My hardware is as follows:
Intel i5 750 CPU
nVidia GeForce GTX 570
12GB RAM
Windows XP Professional

I thought maybe it was the game running too fast, but there is indeed a framerate cap enabled. Even when the screen is flickering I am still able to move at a constant 60FPS, same goes for software mode.

Are there known issues with DirectX6 in a 16bit envrionment and modern hardware, is there something you could recommend, or am I just going to have to call it quits?

Of course, all my hardware has the latest drivers and software. Hmm, I remember the days when my computer was too weak to play videogames, now it's too powerful... haha

Thank you for your time!

·
Premium Member
41,803 Posts
Re: Screen flickering while running DirectX6 16bit Game

Moved thread to PC Gaming forum for better results.

·
Team Manager, Gaming
7,315 Posts

it could be that your video card is too new for the game
you may try the game on the intel integrated card on your motherboard but make sure that it's enabled on your bios

but I'm afraid you have to go with software graphics and disable 3D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Did you try a full game reinstall?
Yeah I tried that. When you install, you're asked if you want to install high resolution or low resolution - neither work. So I noticed when I run the game in high resolution (it allows 1920x1080) the screen flickers LESS but it's still unplayable. The graphics are very distorted, character models limbs stretch everywhere and a lot of the in game models are textured green. It's like how I'd imagine an acid trip haha.

It has to be a DirectX thing. I guess my question is, does anyone know of anything in the nVidia Control Panel that may relate to Direct3D or know of anything that I may wish to look into changing for this game.

Thank you for your replies!

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,236 Posts

Make sure you have the latest version of the Nvidia Control Panel and look for something like "Manage 3D Settings" ...you should be able to turn on/off individual features. Perhaps that may solve your problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks Helios, I've been playing with them but having no luck. I've made a bit of progress though...

On the Troubleshooting tab of the Windows XP Advanced Display options, I turned the hardware acceleration slider to the 3rd notch which reads:

'Disable all DirectDraw and Direct3D accelerations, as well as all cursor and advanced drawing accelerations. Use this setting to correct severe problems with DirectX accelerated applications.'

And sure enough the game works, but of course it's in software mode (I assume) so the problem clearly lies with DirectDraw/Direct3D. I remember on my old Graphics cards there was a setting in the graphics control panel to adjust Direct3D settings....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Yeah but it still doesn't fix not being able to run in Hardware Mode. There HAS to be something I'm missing.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts

The flickering/strobing is caused by the dynamic lighting feature in the game which can't be disabled. You need to use a pre-XP operating system to play the game properly.

If you want to try DirectX 6 again, it's available to download from OldVersion.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

Yay! got it working. It would seem as though you were incorrect Koala. I booted into Windows 7 (that's installed on the primary harddrive) browsed to my XP harddrive and located the games install, launched the game and BAM - works absolutely fine. 3D Hardware and at 1080p resolution. Figure THAT out o_O It'd odd because Windows 7 wouldn't even let me install the game, regardless of compatability settings and so on.

Thank you so much for your time and responses!

...wow, this game sucks. LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.