Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty sure this has been discussed before, its just that I cannot find any links to any previous discussions on it.

Is there any descent and recent utility out there to help me control what appears on the right-click context menu of WindowsXP SV3?

thx
mA

·
TSF Enthusiast
908 Posts
Re: right-click context menu

Hi Mary,

ShellMenuView is a good little utility to manage the list of menu items that appears when you right-click a file or a folder in Windows.

If you're happy that this is suitable for your requirements, then please mark your thread as solved.

Cheers, Crit. :biggrinsa

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Hello again, thanks for the response. I suppose now my next question is, does anyone know how does shellmenuview work? It does not have a help file. I just want some items to NOT appear on the right click menu. How do I exlcude them?

Will shellmenuview have to be up and running all the time, or does it go fix the registry so its once and for all?

thx
mA

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Another question I have is, in addition to deleting some items in the right click context menu, how can I rearrange the items appearing there?
thx
mA

·
TSF Enthusiast
908 Posts

Hi Mary,

Sorry for the delayed reply!

1. Does anyone know how does shellmenuview work;

Open it up, find the extension that you're after in the list, find the context menu item you want to enable, or disable (or create your own). Right-click it, either 'Enable' or 'Disable' the entry. Then right-click it again and open in 'RegEdit'. After it loads, close 'RegEdit' straight away.

Changes applied.

2. Will shellmenuview have to be up and running all the time;

No, as it saves changes to Windows Registry.

3. How can I rearrange the items appearing there;

I think they have a hierarchy attribute. Set 1 for top, 2 for next, then 3, 4, 5 and so-forth.

Screen-shots attached in this order;

1. ENABLED / PRESENT CONTEXT ITEMS.
  2. DISABLED / 'MISSING' CONTEXT ITEMS.
  3. HOW TO SEE COMMON / STANDARD FILE EXTENSIONS.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for helping out, it worked fine. I have ContextEdit 1.1 so I could disable or enable an entry with the little checkmark, but could not then right click to reach the registry.

Instead, I selected an entry, and clicked Delete, that killed it. I still havent found anything about a hieararchy setting, it may be in the registry, but its OK, thats very good so far. Thanks again, mA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.