Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I have a user that when she receives an email attachment in .rtf format she can't open it and gets the following error:

%1 is not a valid Win32 application

She forwarded it to me and I can open it. We both have XP Professional, Office and Outlook 2003. Like I said I was able to open it in .rtf format, so I saved it as a .doc format and sent it back to her and this time she was able to open it. Any ideas???

Thank you in advance for your responses they are appreciated:wink:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Re: Rich Text Format Attachments

That sounds like an absent or corrupted WordPad. But rtf files should be openable in MS Word, so I suspect her file associations are not what you'd expect either. Tell her to try Open With...\Microsoft Word.

BTW, a wink smilie indicates sarcasm, you should've used the smile smiley. :smile:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Sorry, didn't realize the wink with smile means sarcasm. So you want me to verify if .rtf extensions are setup to be opened with Word is that correct?

·
Registered
655 Posts

no he means they are appreciated *come round the back in 5 mins, you know *big wink* lol
only kidding!
Have you tried just opening in word and loading from a place she saved it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Originally after she couldn't open it in her email as an attachment, I had her save it to her desktop and try to open it from their and she receives the same error, but when I did it as a Save As and changed the file format to a word document she was able to open it. Just seems that if it is in rich text format (.rtf) she gets the error

·
Registered
1,335 Posts

Hi payton_fulton:wave:

Ask your friend to go to Control Panel, Folder Options, and pick the tab File Types. Go down to RTF and see if Wordpad is associated with that selection. If not, change it to Wordpad.

See if this will clear up the problem.:smile:

Bests regards,
Mack1

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Hi payton_fulton:wave:

Ask your friend to go to Control Panel, Folder Options, and pick the tab File Types. Go down to RTF and see if Wordpad is associated with that selection. If not, change it to Wordpad.

See if this will clear up the problem.:smile:

Bests regards,
Mack1
Worked! She had it set to open with a word viewer, I switched it back to Word 2003 and it opened fine. THANKS!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.