Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dell Optiplex 3050 Mimi Tower running Windows 10 Pro

Activity would be home/office

Here are the details of the motherboard and CPU from Speccy:-
Operating System = Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU = Intel Core i5 7500 @ 3.40GHz Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
RAM = 32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1196MHz (17-17-17-39)
Motherboard = Dell Inc. 0W0CHX (U3E1)
Graphics = DELL S2721D ([email protected]) Intel HD Graphics 630 (Dell)
Storage = 931GB Crucial CT1000MX500SSD1 (SSD)
931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA)
Optical Drives = PLDS DVD+-RW DU-8A5LH
Audio = Realtek Audio

The device fails compatibility check because of CPU

I would like to move to Windows 11 at some stage but don't want to purchase a new PC.

So, I'm posting here to try and find out how to best search for and purchase a CPU.

I know everybody says "wait and see", but I don't want to waste anybody's time by getting into that argument.

I know very little about hardware but enough (e.g. socket type ??) to know that I need assistance in selecting a compatible replacement.

I'm only at the research stage at the moment, so no specific urgency.

Can someone tell me of a website where I can specify my current CPU (or motherboard) and then select from a list of Windows 11 compatible upgrades.

Please do not recommend Dell, as I tried that, without much luck.

If you could specify for me what are the "key elements" of a CPU that I MUST get, in order to have a correct fit for my system.

Tommy

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,787 Posts
By the time you NEED Windows 11 you'll be ready for a new computer. I know I didn't answer your question, but I'm strongly advising against purchasing a CPU now, not that they're readily available at a decent price anyway.

Reactions: tomohawk

·
Global Moderator
51,484 Posts
Besides, are you SURE that it's only the processor? How about the other requirements? Besides, it's likely that you may be able to run Windows 11 with that processor as it's a 7th generation model.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Besides, are you SURE that it's only the processor? How about the other requirements? Besides, it's likely that you may be able to run Windows 11 with that processor as it's a 7th generation model.
Yes - I'm pretty sure johnwill.

When I run the compatibility checker, I get the following message:-
The processor isn’t currently supported for Windows 11.
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz

I have looked at the minimum requirements as specified by Microsoft, and I meet all of those.

Tommy

·
Global Moderator
51,484 Posts
It's likely that Microsoft may support additional processor models if the other requirements are met. I'd exhibit a bit of patience, there's no burning reason to jump on Windows 11 from the opening bell.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,927 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If your motherboard has TPM 2.0, then upgrade that 7th generation i5 CPU to an 8th generation or newer and you should be good to go.
Thanks spywaredr.

I might as well be looking into a hedge as selecting a CPU.

How do I make sure I get one that is completely compatible. I understand that socket type is critical, but I'm sure there is more. Is there a website where I can put in my motherboard (albeit a Dell) and get a list of compatible CPU's.

I understand fully all the advice to "wait and see", and I may very well do so, but I would also like to educate myself and this forum is awesome for that. I appreciate the feedback and value all of it.

Tommy

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,927 Posts
Sorry, I don't know of "a website where I can put in my motherboard (albeit a Dell) and get a list of compatible CPU's."

Also can't seem to find the manual for your "Motherboard = Dell Inc. 0W0CHX (U3E1)".

Did find this info about the TPM 2.0 in your Optiplex 3050: Optiplex 3050 Mini Tower - TPM disappeared from BIOS

Note that you may have better luck finding an answer on Dell Community? Search - Dell Community

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,787 Posts
FYI: If MOBO has TPM 2.0 Header then there are add on modules to make it comply. Still not worth the $100 + or - to do anything now.

·
Global Moderator
51,484 Posts
I'd wait a spell and see what shakes out when Win11 has been out for a few months, the requirements appear to be shifting. There's really nothing about your processor that should preclude running WIn11, and Microsoft has already changed the requirements at least once. I think the TPM 2.0 is a more critical issue, it appears they're not going to relent on that requirement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know there are ways to get around the stupid need to have TPM and Secureboot which is just a clever marketing ploy but for CPU you may be out of luck. I am have tested installing on an older Mobo that has NO TPM chip on it and it worked beautifully. For the CPU issue, you may need to go to the Microsoft site and determine the MINIMUM amount of CPU and see if you can upgrade your Mobo with some cheap used one on some good retailer or even eBay. Older i3 and i5 are super cheap like around $25 US.

Here:
Windows 11 supported Intel processors

Here:
Windows 11 supported AMD processors

·
Global Moderator
51,484 Posts
I know there are ways to get around the stupid need to have TPM and Secureboot which is just a clever marketing ploy but for CPU you may be out of luck. I am have tested installing on an older Mobo that has NO TPM chip on it and it worked beautifully. For the CPU issue, you may need to go to the Microsoft site and determine the MINIMUM amount of CPU and see if you can upgrade your Mobo with some cheap used one on some good retailer or even eBay. Older i3 and i5 are super cheap like around $25 US.
While currently you can install Win11 without TPM on the system, all indications are that Microsoft can and likely will slam that door closed at any time. If you suddenly aren't getting updates because of the lack of TPM 2.0, what are you going to do then?

·
457 Posts
What johnwill said is correct for now MS is holding to that where they say they won't offer updates if you install it on non-certified hardware but I personally think it will change during the holidays or shortly thereafter because it really will exclude 80% of the worlds PC's - not just that but think about it --- someone using a 1st Gen Ryzen 1700x or even an Intel 6700k or 7700k - a perfectly capable computer using DDR4 memory would be blocked out?

I don't think so.

But OP for now you will not be able to install Windows 11 (with the update) and you won't be able to install it clean with a USB stick and GET windows updates, and unfotunately you won't be able to update your CPU on that Dell to a CPU that would allow WIndows 11 updates. Sucks I know. Wait about 4 months see what happens.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,776 Posts
I think everyone is right it makes no sense that Microsoft would eliminate so many systems from moving to Windows 11.
I question whether any of those exclusions are even true now but if you wait for certain that will change in time.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everybody. I will wait in hope.

In had hoped to educate myself as to how to ensure I can purchase a correct match (new CPU) for my existing motherboard, but I'll leave that for another day.

I'll mark as solved with gratitude for the continued support.

Tommy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts