Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Freezing-is it my video card?

A component in my system may very well be on its way out (it's almost been in use for 4 years now) and I will be replacing it soonish. In the meantime, I'd like to find/fix whatever is causing this issue if possible until funds are a go for the new rig.

I have an Alienware (most of the problem I don't doubt, and yes I've updated the BIOS to the latest version) with an i7-920 processor (OCed to 3.2 GHz) and a Radeon HD 1GB 5870 GPU, Windows 7 64 bit.

The problem usually occurs when I am using Google Chrome. In the old days, it would freeze for about 10 seconds then be fine again. Now it isn't recovering when it happens. The screen just sits there where I left it and I have to turn off via the power button. Sometimes, if idling for long enough at my Windows login, it will freeze there too.

The freezing, if it happens, only occurs within about 10 minutes of booting. I've never had it freeze like that when playing games and it's fine until I shut down if it's been on for a while.

My temps are usually around 25 C. I don't think it's a temp issue, especially if I just booted.

I suspect it's the GPU as I've had some artifacts accompanying the freezing in the past (greenish lines smeared across a portion of the screen), but disconnecting/reconnecting solved that problem. It hasn't helped this time but I haven't seen any artifacts with this latest trend of freezing.

Another problem which may be related is sometimes it will not recover from sleep mode.

Just curious how I'd be able to know for sure if it's my GPU dying w/o having a different video card to test.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Re: Freezing-is it my video card?

The first thing to do would be to remove any OC.
OEM PC's use lower quality components and any OEM that is 4 yrs. old is subject to any number of component issues/failures and OC'ing only adds more stress/heat.
Freezing is often a RAM problem. How much and what are the specs of the RAM?
If when using Chrome is the only time it happens, that would indicate a problem with Chrome and not the PC.
The only reliable test for a GPU is to try it in another PC or try another GPU in your PC.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Freezing-is it my video card?

The first thing to do would be to remove any OC.
OEM PC's use lower quality components and any OEM that is 4 yrs. old is subject to any number of component issues/failures and OC'ing only adds more stress/heat.
Freezing is often a RAM problem. How much and what are the specs of the RAM?
If when using Chrome is the only time it happens, that would indicate a problem with Chrome and not the PC.
The only reliable test for a GPU is to try it in another PC or try another GPU in your PC.

I was afraid you'd say that.

6GB ddr3 1066

Just now it froze on the windows error recovery screen. Fun!

I'll try removing the OC and see what happens.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's been a minute since I originally overclocked my computer and I need to reset my i7-920 from 3.2 GHz to 2.67 GHz.

Does anyone have a quick idea of what I'd need to change in the BIOS or what other info I need to give?

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
Re: Removing overclock on Alienware Aurora i7-920 CPU

yeah just reset your BIOS to optimized defaults or do a cmos reset.

·
Microsoft MVP, Microsoft Team Moderator, Articles
39,532 Posts

It will be the same settings in your BIOS where you went to overclock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Man do I feel stupid now. Load defaults? I should have known that.
I deal with a backwards/outdated system at work and keep forgetting that other forms of technology have useful user-friendly functions.

Back to factory speeds now, thanks guys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.