Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a virus which McAfee virus removal could not remove. I then tried to perform a complete computer recovery using the recovery disks I made when the computer was new. That did not work and I got an error message saying that the disk letter could not be found. I then used the erase function on the recovery disk and completely erased the disk. The recover effort failed again with the same message. I tried to reinstall from an original windows disk of an earlier version (XP) but that failed with the message "not enough space."

The computer is a Sony VGN-CS215J or a PCG-3E2L (both model numbers are shown on the computer in different places) The OS is Vista.

I used the diskpart command to see what was on the disk. The following information was shown (not in this format)
Disk ID=00000001
Type = ATA
Bus = 0
Target = 0
LUN lD = 0
Read only = NO
Boot Disk = NO
Page file disk = No
Hibernation File disk = NO
Crash dump disk = NO

Volume ### Volume 1
LTR C
Label (blank)
FS RAW
Type Partition
Size 233GB
Status Healthy
Info (Blank)

Does anyone have any suggestions? I haven't quite figured out the syntax necessary to change anything. But the Boot Disk being NO and the FS being RAW raises questions in my uneducated mind. I had originally planned to just purchase a new hard drive, but read somewhere on this forum where someone had a similar problem but getting a new disk did not solve it.

Thanks for any help
Ray

·
Registered
41,120 Posts
Re: recovery disk can not find disk letter

It is showing that your HDD is RAW, meaning there is no partition or file system. You can either boot the computer with a Windows CD/DVD and Create a new partition, Format the Partition NTFS, do not do a Quick Format, (this takes longer but will test the integrity of the drive). and then install Windows. You can also prepare the drive with GParted Live CD. then run your Restore DVD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thank you for the quick response. I will try to reformat the volume but I am having some trouble with the syntax. It seems that it would be as simple as selecting volume 1 and running the command:

Format FS=NTFS Label <whatever>

But I guess it is not that simple:xolconfus

·
Registered
41,120 Posts

It is showing that your HDD is RAW, meaning there is no partition or file system. You can either boot the computer with a Windows CD/DVD and Create a new partition, Format the Partition NTFS, do not do a Quick Format, (this takes longer but will test the integrity of the drive). and then install Windows. You can also prepare the drive with GParted Live CD. then run your Restore DVD.
No, you have to boot off of the Windows Disc If installing XP in the Partition information section choose to Delete the Partition (if there is one) then choose to Create a new partition (if there isn't one) Format the Partition NTFS, do not do a Quick Format, then Install Windows. Or as in the quote, create a Gparted Live CD to prepare the disc for your Windows Recovery CD/DVD

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

No, you have to boot off of the Windows Disc If installing XP in the Partition information section choose to Delete the Partition (if there is one) then choose to Create a new partition (if there isn't one) Format the Partition NTFS, do not do a Quick Format, then Install Windows. Or as in the quote, create a Gparted Live CD to prepare the disc for your Windows Recovery CD/DVD
I am unable to boot off of the windows disc. That is my problem. It just gives me the message shown in the thread title. I have tried to use the Gparted Live CD but so far have been unsuccessful. I have posted a message on that support forum. I am still trying to get the syntax correct to allow me to format the disk from the diskpart command. thanks for your help.

Ray

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Here are the Diskpart commandsWhat is the problem you are having with GParted?
It's far easier to Format with a Live CD, not booting to the HDD.Attempt this using UBCD4Win. or other Boot CD's
Thanks. I will try and work through the diskpart commands. I believe my problem is with syntax. Since the current (and only) volume shows Boot=NO and FS=RAW, It would seem that all I would need to do would be to reformat Volume 1 as NTFS i.e. Select volume 1 and then FORMAT FS=NTFS Label = <whatever> But that doesn't work. I am working from knowledge level 0 here so it is a slow process.
The GParted disk does't boot. Computer shows "operating system not found" I have downloaded both the zip and iso files but neither seems to work. Not sure whether it is a computer problem, a download problem or just an operator ignorance problem.

Thanks
Ray

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I reformatted the HD using diskpart format so it is now NTSF rather than RAW. I still can not get the Vista recovery disk to work. Still returns the message "recovery disk can not find disk letter."

I did copy the iso image to the CD but the computer does not read it.

Best
Ray

·
Registered
41,120 Posts

You do not Copy an ISO image to a CD, you must Burn the Image to a CD using the Image burner part of your burning software or we recommend using IMGBurn in my signature, because it is a small program and easy to use.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

You do not Copy an ISO image to a CD, you must Burn the Image to a CD using the Image burner part of your burning software or we recommend using IMGBurn in my signature, because it is a small program and easy to use.
Sorry for the sloppy language. I did burn the CD

·
Registered
41,120 Posts

Make sure you burned the Image not just burned a copy of the ISO file to a CD. (if you browse the newly created CD and it still shows an ISO file you did not burn the image) If you did burn the image and the CD rom drive is set to be First Boot Device in the Bios, when you put the newly created CD in and reboot the computer, you should see the message Press Any Key To Boot From CD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Make sure you burned the Image not just burned a copy of the ISO file to a CD. (if you browse the newly created CD and it still shows an ISO file you did not burn the image) If you did burn the image and the CD rom drive is set to be First Boot Device in the Bios, when you put the newly created CD in and reboot the computer, you should see the message Press Any Key To Boot From CD.
OK, thanks. I am learning something. I guess I burned the file rather than an image. The button said burn so I assumed..... Hopefully if I burn the image correctly, it may solve the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Once I burned an image the CD worked. Thanks for the help. Now I have to go read the documentation for the program to find out how to fix my disk. for the moment, most of the operations are greyed out.

Ray

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I had to erase the disk again using a more advanced protocol and then used Gparted (thank you) to set the partition. The recovery disk then worked properly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.