Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I just got a new case last night and put everything in from my old case to my new case. When I went to boot up my computer it posts and usually when it would ask which OS to load it says, "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". My computer has been working fine and I didn't put any new hardware in, besides the case plugs. I tried unplugging everything besides my hard drive (including my dvd drives) and it still gives me this error. I reset the bios and it's still the same. When I go into my bios it sees all of my hard drives and both of my dvd drives and the hard drive priority is set for the right hard drive, and the dvd drives are also right (dvd drives are both IDE and all 3 hard drives are sata). Two of my hard drives have Windows 7 on them and another has nothing on it. I don't know why this would happen if I didn't really do anything to my motherboard. I was thinking it might be with the boot sector or that one file that's used for when you have multiple OS's to select from but I can't access my hard drives.

I tried putting in my Windows 7 DVD and when I did that it loaded and about 10 seconds after it showed the logo with its fancy animation my monitors go black and it says no signal. I also tried a Ubuntu live CD and the same thing happens. My boot priority is DVD, main hard drive, and then floppy (which I don't have) and I tried also F8 to choose which device to boot from and none of them work, I just keep getting that error. All of my hard drives are on cable select and I tried messing with that also but still doesn't work. I read on another forum that someone bought a sata DVD drive and put that in and it worked but I don't want to risk buying it for nothing unless I don't have a choice. Any suggestions?

Also my motherboard is ASUS M4A78-E with Windows 7 64 bit, ATI 4800 series video card.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Reboot and select proper boot device error

Solved! I unplugged my main hard drive and booted to my old Windows 7 and it worked. Then I plugged my new hard drive in and it didn't work so I tried booting to my old hard drive and it asks which OS to boot from, so I chose the new one and it works, seems like I have to do it every time, but its no big deal as long as it works!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.