Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

While doing anything from gaming to browsing the web, at seemingly random times my monitors both give me the "no signal" error, my sound turns off (but I hear noise), and my keyboard and mouse get turned off (or whatever you want to call it, the keyboard has a backlight and it turns off, and the number/cap/scroll lights turn off. The laser on the mouse also goes out).

Pressing the reset or the power button does nothing, and the only way I can get it to shut off is to turn the switch on the PSU off.

This usually happens after the computer has been running for a while, but sometimes happens only a few minutes after I turn it on. Once it starts happening tho, it seems to become more and more frequent until I let it sit for a few hours.

At first I assumed temperature was to blame, but according to speedfan, which I've left open for the last few hours to watch the temps; everything stays lower than 50' C so I don't think that's the problem. During gaming they get to the lower 60s, but not much higher. Before I upgraded my case, things ran a lot hotter than that and I never had an issue.
I have a full ATX Case that is very well ventilated.
It shouldn't be the graphics card, as I recently installed a new one.

The power supply is fairly new (fake edit: 9 months now that I look at it, is that considered old?) and the computer still seems to be running so it doesn't seem like most other power supply failures.

I'm not sure if it's related, but the audio went out on my motherboard a few weeks before I started experiencing this problem. I installed a PCI audio card to make up for it. I ran the computer without this card for a few hours the other day and it still shut off on me. Anyways, I'm not sure what caused the audio to fail, but could it have damaged another part of the board as well, causing this?

PSU: Rosewill RV2-700 700W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V SLI Ready
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2
(old) Graphics: Palit NE5X460EFHD02 GeForce GTX 460 SE (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit
(new/current) Graphics: XFX HD-695X-CDFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit
Audio Card: Vantec UGT-S100 7.1 Channels 48KHz PCI Interface Sound Card
CPU: AMD X4 Phenom Black Edition 3.2Ghz
RAM: G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR2
2 HDD + 1 SSD
7 120MM Fans

The case stays clean, has filters for all the fans/vents, so hardly any dust gets in.
I tried changing power strips, and plugged the computer straight into the outlet.

Any advice here is greatly appreciated, I'm not sure whether to replace my motherboard (which I almost want to for a few reasons, including the audio problem) or the power supply, and in the meantime this is really frustrating.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Re: random loss of video signal and audio - PSU Going bad?

The Rosewill PSU is not a good quality unit and is not 80+ certified.
You need to be at 650W minimum with a good quality PSU. SeaSonic-XFX-Corsair (not the CX or GS Series).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I see, I suppose I'm in the market for a new unit then, do you think that a XFX Core Edition PRO850W PSU will work? I want extra room for upgrades in the future. I'd also rather not have to replace it again any time soon :) If not, what other supplies in that price range would you recommend?

Also, is it possible that a power supply problem could have caused the audio to go out on my motherboard?

Thanks.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

The XFX 850 is a top quality SeaSonic made unit and should be fine.
The problems a low quality/underpowered PSU can cause are limitless.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Ok, great, thanks for the help. Hopefully this will fix the problem :)

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

Please let us know the results.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Well, I've had the new power supply in for two days now and I've yet to have this problem, looks like that did it. :)

Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.