Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! :)

My Samsung CRT montior which was excellent by the way is getting defective, I have distortion to the right side, gray lines on the left and all sorts of weird mutating horizontal and vertical lines and it's getting worse, so I decided it's time to buy another monitor.

By the way I simply adore this monitor, crystal clear imagery with vibrant colors, I especially like the MagicBright system from Samsung as it really makes a difference in which mode you put it, 19" was big enough for me also, I loved it :) So I am feeling pretty confident about buying a Samsung product.

I'm looking at a LED montior from samsung: BX2231, 22" LED Monitor | Samsung BX2231

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG BX2231 Glossy Black 21.5" 2ms Full HD LED Backlight LCD Monitor Slim Design 250 cd/m2 DCR 5,000,000:1 (1,000:1) ..

250cd/m2 isn't perfect but many people I know say that going from CRT to LCD/LED, it will be even too bright on 100%..it's got good 1000:1 contrast and great 5.000.000:1 dynamic contrast, 2ms responce time, it's nice and black, 21,5" is more than enough, my only enquiry is the refresh rate of the monitor on different resolutions...

I'm not familiar on how good the refresh rates are on TFT/LCD/LED monitors since I only used CRT which are awesome, but can it do 720p on 85hz atleast? and 60hz on 1080p ofc? :)

Thanks, even if my questions are stupid, haha :D

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Question about LED montior refresh rate

Hm, how isn't there any flicker then? I'm confused :S

See I would just love to buy another one of these but ofc they aren't made anymore :D

·
Registered
5,959 Posts

This may help to explain it:
Refresh rate or the temporal resolution of an LCD is the number of times per second in which the display draws the data it is being given. Since activated LCD pixels do not flash on/off between frames, LCD monitors exhibit no refresh-induced flicker, no matter how low the refresh rate.

What you want to look for in an LCD is response time. Unfortunately this number is generally grossly exaggerated by manufacturers so it's a hard thing to base a purchase on. If you play games look for a response time of 2ms.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

That's great for me because this monitor has a response time of 2ms! I found some specifications on some hard-to-find websites and it says that the maximum refresh rate on this monitor is 75hz which is still great for me, but I'm curius as to how big resolution can you put to 75hz, if it's enough for 1280x720, I'll be perfectly satisfied :D

And if that's the case, then 60hz will be fine. Thanks for putting my mind at ease, but now I need to get some money and pick up the monitor :)

One last question - since my graphics card supports both VGA and HDMI, and the monitor also supports both VGA and HDMI, which connector should I use? Will this bother a) picture quality, b) graphics card performance (including PhysX)? - it's a GTX460 GLH.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Sorry to bother you but what difference does it make? :S Because I need to buy a HDMI cable and I already have a D-SUB one..I'm pretty sure the monitor doesn't include the cable, does it? I found on a site: Doesn't Include A Basic HDMI Cable

·
Registered
5,959 Posts

In theory the digital connection should be better because there's no digital to analog conversion but there's nothing wrong with using an analog cable (VGA DSub). I'm not sure what prices are like where you are but HDMI cables aren't terribly expensive if you shop around.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

The Samsung to linked to comes with a VGA cable and a DVI to HDMI cable.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

So if I connect a HDMI from the monitor to the DVI of the graphics card, will it be the same as a HDMI to HDMI cable seeing how both are digital? And will there be lower performance of the graphics card or lower quality of the screen? Sorry to ask so much but I'm that kind of people that want to know all before they buy :S

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

So as long as I use my motherboard's soundcard for the audio I will see no difference between HDMI and DVI?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.