Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
TSF - Enthusiast
4,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How can I know if a website is copyrighted if it doesn't have a visible symbol, or phrase saying it is?

What I'm asking is: can I look at a website's source code and type out my own version of their
menu, or navigation bar if I change all personal text in it to reflect my own test page?
:4-dontkno
Thanks for any informative info

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Re: Question about code source

Every website is covered by plagurism laws. Usually when websites explicitly say they're copyrighted they're referring to the content of the site over the design.

Basically, it depends just how much of the site you take, whether that cost the website owner anything and just how important that menu system is to the website owner. It's up to the owner to take legal action. So, if you're really unsure a) take a look in the source code to make sure the website is the actual author of the menu (e.g. it's not third party from dynamic drive or similar) b) e-mail the owner/enquire.

Whatever you do, don't just copy the menu (whether you change pieces of it or not) nobody likes a plagurist and it could have an effect on your reputation as a designer as well as the legal issues that may insue.

If you really end up stuck, try doing a similar thing in a different way. At the end of the day that menu will be bespoke to that site and changing it to suite your needs will help your site as well as keeping you away from legal issues.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
4,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Oh, thats what I mean in the first place.
I wouldn't just copy it, but rather use the basic idea of the item I was looking at.
This is because I'm a very basic beginner to web design and sometimes I'm
unable to find tutorials that help me get the design that I'm thinking of.
Thanks for the helpful answer :wink: :wave:

·
Registered
896 Posts

Looking to other sites for fundamental ideas is fine. This is why I got into PHP, there's so much source code released to the wild...most of the time when you have a problem, chances are good that SOMEONE has posted about it. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.