Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just bought me a 6600GT card but due to my poor standard dell 250W PSU it is causing my monitor to turn off all the time (Typing this with my old geforce 5200)

www.overclock.co.uk is the site I want to buy the PSU from (Got my 6600GT from there for £100.)

Can anyone suggest some good reliable brands for PSU and also one's that are in a good price range. (£50-60) Not sure what that is in dollars guys, about 100?

Also, does the PSU have to be compatible wtih my motherboard or anything else? If it does how can I find out whether it would be compatible or not?

Cheers,

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi
The PSU world is pritty advanced and it really depends if you want a standard or quiet or one whith whistle and bells.

to be future proof it may be an advantage to buy the 400W or 450W model but it will also depend on your case and MOBO. Does it need AT or ATX or the latest standard ?AT connector MOBO. Other consideration are GPU, SATA power connectors, Extra fan connectors and so on.
Here is a simple review
http://www.xtremeresources.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=73

Post back with case type and what unde the hood + extra fans to best advise type of PSU.

Good Luck
Golith

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Okay, how do I find out if I need AT or ATX or all of that kinda stuff?

I got a dell 4600 and measured the specs of my PSU so can compare sizes to see if it will fit.

I just got a basic fan next to my current PSU at the moment.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Very important to note that many Dell computers do not use "mainstream" power supplies. Your Dell can go up in smoke in milliseconds with the wrong PS.

Also, don't choose a PS on watts alone...in reality it is more effective to understand "amps and rails". Watts are good if they are in the right place!
Have a look HERE

I Googled "Dell Power Supply" and found lots of interesting stuff...
Here's a Dell Power Supply Adapter

So to recap, determine your power supply type (Dell Proprietary or mainstream ATX) and calculate your power needs using amps and rails.

JF
Who's wondering if we can have a funeral for the JS Custom PCS wattulator?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.