Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fixing a computer for someone and I had to chance the motherboard. But now I realize that the motherboard that I bought needs the 24 pins connection and another 4pins. but my PSU only has 20 pins (you know sometimes they come with 20pins but with a 4pins that can be attached to the 20 pins... well, I don't have that 4 pins) and the 4 pins (the other one that is separate to the 24 pins)

So.. My question is that do I need a new PSU or can I buy something else to "convert" the power or.. I don't know. I'm wondering.

also, I would like to know what the 24 pins and the 4 pins power exactly.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Re: PSU and Motherboard

Hi,
You should have a compatible quality Power Supply for your mainboard, with all the correct connections, which produces enough power for all your components and future upgrades. A patched-up PSU of the wrong type, (using adapters) will more than likely take-out your whole computer.
Read our own guide here....

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f210/power-supply-information-and-selection-192217.html

You will find the reason for 24-pin and extra 4-pin connectors under the heading;
Compatibility issues for ATX power supplies and motherboards.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: PSU and Motherboard

Hi,
You should have a compatible quality Power Supply for your mainboard, with all the correct connections, which produces enough power for all your components and future upgrades. A patched-up PSU of the wrong type, (using adapters) will more than likely take-out your whole computer.
Read our own guide here....

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f210/power-supply-information-and-selection-192217.html

You will find the reason for 24-pin and extra 4-pin connectors under the heading;
Compatibility issues for ATX power supplies and motherboards.
Thank you very much, I got a new PSU, the old one was old anyway.

Problem solved.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.