Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to you all.

I recently finished a thread with Ried at TSF's Virus Forum to rid my computer of the mal_otorun 1 virus. I thought that he did a great job, just like everyone at TSF has always done for me. Among the things that we did was to disable the Autrorun feature and leave it disabled as a security measure.

But since Ried completed his work with me, I am having problems with my audio software:

1. When I try to burn a CD from mp3 (256kps) files on my hard drive using Roxio Creator, they get burned as .cda files. This never happened before we tackled the mal_otorun virus.

2. When I try to use my NCH software: WavePad Sound Editor, Prism Video Converter, and Switch Sound File Converter I get a message "The procedure entry point IsThreadDesktopComposited could not be located in the dynamic link library USER32.dll. I can generally click "cancel" on the three consecutive (same) messages, and get the program to start.

When the process has finished I am getting 3 different messages:

(a) The instruction at "0x0038b0bf" referenced memory at "0x60383d7b". The memory could not be "written". click on cancel to terminate the program.

After I click on cancel I get another message:

(b) The instructions at "0x00000020" referenced memory at "0x00000020". The memory could not be "read". Click on cancel to terminate the program.

And after I click on cancel I get a 3rd message:

(c) The instructions at "0x163f181" referenced memory at "0x0071d570". The memory could not be "written". Click on cancel to terminate the program.

After I click on cancel this third time, I am back wherever I was when I started to use this software. I never got these messages before we tackled the mal_otorun virus.

3. Also with my NCH Switch Sound software, when I try to convert from and mp3 format to a lossless format (WAV or FLAC)--which I have done many times before)--I get less than 11MB in the converted file.

Since the software has been installed for a long while, and since these problems just started happening after my virus problem was solved, I think that XP problems is the correct forum for this thread.

Thank you in advance for the help,

Waxhaw Ron

·
Moderator; Hardware
19,884 Posts
Re: Problems with Audio software since I got help from TSF to cure a virus problem

Since you just went through a major cleanup, I would recommend reinstalling any applications that are giving you problems. Most likely, some files needed for those apps have been altered or removed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Re: Problems with Audio software since I got help from TSF to cure a virus problem

Just what I was thinking Dogg. I would also consider uninstalling your sound card from the device manager and then rebooting. Download the latest drivers for your soundcard and install them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thank you very much. I'll go try this right now. Most of these are free downloaded programs which makes it pretty easy. I'll have to figure out what my sound card is to download any updated drivers. I'll let you know how this works, probably by tomorrow.

·
Banned
2,854 Posts

As for your Burner burning CDA files, this is the format for an Audio CD. If you are trying to burn Data make sure you are choosing Data disc.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

well, just uninstalled, booted, then re-installed the software. During each step of the installation I got the message: "The procedure entry point IsThreadDesktopComposited could not be located in the dynamic link library USER32.dll." Something is wrong here, and I need some more ideas/advice what is wrong and what to do about it:4-dontkno

spike2me: when I reinstalled my Sonic RecordNow software, the cda files now play on my CD player. Before the reinstall, windows explorer would show that there were cda files on the disc, but they just would not play on my CD player. The reinstall seems to have worked on this software, just not the others. Thank you very much for your input.

Oddly enough, my Plato free DVD recorder has continued to work without any of the error messages.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks, Spike. I've just downloaded the software and will give it a try. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Spike,
You wrote: "Add use the Advanced option to search the Registry for remaining files, restart. Then reinstall."

Once I hit "advanced", I don't see how I'm going to clean the Registry. Please advise.

Thank you,
Ron

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I have used Revo Uninstaller as far as I can understand it. In the area named Windows Cleaner the things I have NOT cleaned are "Clean the printers, computers and people find history", "Clear the Regedit last open key history", "Clear the common dialog open/save recent history", "Clear the common dialog last visited folder history". I have cleaned the other options and am still having the same problems.

Have I missed cleaning something I should? Or is there another solution to this problem?:4-dontkno

·
Banned
2,854 Posts

Reinstall the software then start Revo. In Revo, you choose the program icon you want to uninstall. It starts the programs Uninstaller. Once the programs uninstaller option is finished, Revo says "Click Next to search for remaining files and folders and the Registry" Choose the Advanced option and it will come up with Registry keys for that program. Choose Select All and Delete Selected. Then Next. In the next windows Select All and Delete Selected. Restart computer. If that still doesn't work:
Then go to Start/Run and type in Regedit. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE and delete the name of the software program. close the Regsitry Editor. Now do a Search for the software program. Delete all instances of the program in Search and empty the Recycle Bin. Restart the computer. Try it again.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Spike,

I followed your instructions. I uninstalled all NCH audio/video software from my computer, reinstalled them, and then ran Revo. Clicked on the first icon and went through the procedure you described. Booted the computer and then did this for the second icon. And so on for the third and fourth icons.

The problem still exists.

I did run/search for all 4 programs and came up only with their installed locations. Nothing else.

Went into the registry, did as you instructed for all 4 programs. Did the run/search again and again only found the programs in their appropriate locations. Since everything was where it was supposed to be, I did not delete them again, but booted the computer and still have the same problems.

Love the Revo program. Used it to erase all old deleted files, which took a long time. But it did not solve the problem I am having running the audio/video software.

Ron

:4-dontkno :4-dontkno :4-dontkno :4-dontkno :4-dontkno :4-dontkno

·
Banned
2,854 Posts

To do a "Clean" Uninstall, you have to remove ALL remnants of the software program. That means, remove the files in Explorer under Program Files, Program Files/Common files. Documents and Settings\Yourusername\Application Data and Local Settings\Application Data and under All User\Application Data. ALL of these files that pertain to this software and it's Parent company, must be deleted and have the Recycle Bin emptied. So when you Search/All Files and Folders it will not come up. Go through the Registry again. You can use a program like http://download.cnet.com/Registry-Crawler/3000-18512_4-14113.html?tag=mncol to make it easier, and delete all instances so it is no longer in your computer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Spike,
I followed your instructions for a Clean Uninstall. In addition to all the places you suggested I look, I also checked into the prefetch folder and deleted all references to these software programs in there. I then booted the computer and checked a second time via run/search and physically looking at all the hiding places, and there were no remnants of the 4 programs to be found.

So I reinstalled the programs. Please note that during the reinstallation, I kept getting the same "Entry Point Not Found..." message at every step of the installations.

I then started Revo. I picked one of the programs for deletion. Please note that at each step along the way I kept getting the "Entry Point Not Found..." message. I went into the advanced mode and deleted this program in the places where it said to do so. Revo reported that the software was successfully uninstalled.

I closed Revo and did a physical check of all the folders on my hard drive and physically checked it in the Registry via HKEY_LOCAL... and there were no remnants of the program there.

I have since reinstalled the program, getting the "Entry Point Not Found" message at every step along the way.

This does not seem to be solving the problem.

Ron:4-dontkno:4-dontkno:4-dontkno:4-dontkno:4-dontkno:4-dontkno:4-dontkno

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Problems with Audio software since I got help from TSF to cure a virus problem

I have had some wonderful attempts at help from TSF members, but need help from a TSF expert. Please read through and help me with this problem. Thank you very much:4-dontkno:4-dontkno:4-dontkno:4-dontkno:4-dontkno:4-dontkno:4-dontkno

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Hi Riskyone 101,

The affected programs are Prism Video Converter v 1.27, Switch Sound Converter v 2.01, Wave Pad Sound Editor v. 4.03, and Video Pad Video Editor v 1.00.

Thanks,
WaxhawRon

·
Banned
2,854 Posts

Once you uninstall with Revo then
Check for and delete the following files and directories, including sub-directories.

C:\Windows\UEAgent directory. Typically, the leftovers include downloaded updates and a variety of *.dll and *.exe files. Note that in Prism Patch Manager 6.1 you may also want to delete the user-specified patch download directory (see File | Agent | Settings, Transfers tab).
C:\Program Files\Prism Patch Manager directory. Typically, the leftovers include *.db files
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Prism Patch Manager directory. Typically, the leftovers include some *.dll and *.log files.
C:\Windows\Prism Patch Manager.INI, if present.
C:\Documents and Settings\"username"\Application Data\UEData.ued, if present. C:\Documents and Settings\"username"\Local Settings\Temp\UEReport*.html &ldots; note that there may be several different reports like machine, conformance etc.
The Registry should be clean, but you can check it.

- Launch regedit.exe or regedt32.exe

for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\New Boundary Technologies\
Delete this file
- Look for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\New Boundary Technologies\
Delete this file.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Hi Spike,

Thanks for keeping on trying. I appreciate it greatly.

I launched regedit and neither file existed. The new NCH Software and NCH Swift Sound files exist since I re-installed the software. Still have the problems which are a pain in the butt, but they are useable as long as I sit here and hit Cancel each time one of the ISThreadDesktopComposited messages flash. But when you are, for example, editing some audio tracks using WavePad and you've got to click every time the software does something, you can't just set it and walk away.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.