Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm having a problem when I click new and try to create a new folder it says "windows can't find the file specified" and it wont create it but when I restart my pc the folder shows up. Also when I try to move files from one folder to the other they also don't show up until I restart my pc and I can't open any folders on my desktop. Thank you for any advice given

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Re: Problem with files and folders

Try deleting your icon cache. First go to folder options in control panel unhide files and system files then click on "Ok"

Go to C:/Documents and Settings/<Username>/Local Settings/Application Data Look for "Icon Cache" delete then reboot.

This should fix the issue let us know if it helps or not.

·
Premium Member
19,848 Posts

if your drive is getting full there could be issues such as this. make sure you have a large drive make sure you have at least 10 percent of your drive free. If you have a small drive, then 15-20 percent free.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok the icon cache doesn't show up and when I change it where I can see the hidden files the folders pop up but it resets itself where the hidden files can not be seen and I have at least 20% of free space on my pc. Thank you for any advice

·
Global Moderator
42,233 Posts

In Windows Explorer go to Tools/Folder Options/View make sure Show Hidden Files and Folders is checked. If the folders you create have the Hidden Attribute checked in the Properties, you may have a virus. You can use Unhide.exe to view hidden files that a software program has hidden from you.

·
Global Moderator
42,233 Posts

The default attribute for a folder when created is Read Only. The files that are within the folder are not unless specified.

·
Global Moderator
42,233 Posts

You are welcome! Please mark this thread Solved in the Thread Tools at the top.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.