Seagate
Barracuda 7200.7 160GB
Model ST3160023AS
Operating system:
Windows XP, SP2

I am installing an internal hard-drive as follows:
Hitachi Deskstar, T7K250, Ultra ATA/133
Model: HDT22525DLAT80

I connected hard drive from 80 wire connector cable (also supplying the CD-ROM). This is the only option available as the Seagate hard drive has different type cables.
Jumper pin configuration as follows, AB, CD, for Slave (Device 1) I also tried AB, EF, for Cable Select mode.
Both of these gave same BIOS settings of existing hard-drive device 0, new hard drive third channel, device 1, which is the configuration I wanted.

Result:
Disk management configuration shows new disk (Hitachi) goes to Disk 0 and the existing Seagate hard drive now going to disc 1

There is an option to initialise the new Hitachi disk, but I am reluctant to do this incase this becomes the master disk etc.

Also, is there a problem about formation the new hard drive from Disc Management? I did not get any software with my Hitachi hard drive.

Please advise the best course of action.
Many thanks,

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Re: Problem installing slave hard disc

You must initialize and format the drive before it can be used. This is normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thank you for your reply lead3.
However, I am concerned that my original Seagate drive goes from Disc 0 to Disc 1 on Disc Management. Once I initialize the new disc (now disc 0), will the computer not try to boot from the empty disc?

regards

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

The boot order is set in the BIOS, therefore it should not boot to the empty disk or it would have already.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I have initialized and formatted my new hard drive ant it seems to be working fine, just as you suggested.

Many thanks for your help Lead3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.