Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Canon MX310 printer I have used attached to an XP pro desktop in network. It has been a bit problematic as not all users are part of the network.

I plugged the printer into the router (Ericsson W35) to let everyone share it more easily. I needed to install it as network printer on the XP machine, and the driver was simple to get. And it works.

On a Vista laptop, I cannot find the driver anywhere. Canon's site takes me round and round the same loop over and over again but no drivers are to be found.

If I let the laptop try, it comes up with long list of drivers but no MX310.

Several sites try to give me "driver manager" which scans my whole system and never seems to achieve anything. I tried two of them.

I even have the disk that came with the printer, but Vista says there are no drivers there.

And I haven't even tried the Win 7 machine yet.

Any advice?

· Registered
5,587 Posts
Re: Printer Drivers

Your profile states that you have XP yet this is a Windows Vista/7 forum. What Version of Windows do you have?

· Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I have three machines, XP Pro, Vista and Win 7.

And on the canon site, I don't see any reference to operating system on the top.
I've been here with XP and Vista.

It looks like
Text Font Web page Technology Line

· Registered
19 Posts
on the vista laptop when you go to printers are you able to see the printer on the network? if so you should be able to go into the router settings and basically open up the ports make sure you hardwire the vista operating system machine directly to the router if the machine does not even see the printer at all not a driver issue

· Registered
5,587 Posts

I have three machines, XP Pro, Vista and Win 7.

And on the canon site, I don't see any reference to operating system on the top.
I've been here with XP and Vista.

It looks like
View attachment 104815

You have to click on the Drivers & Software link under the Overview link as seen in the image. Then select the version of Windows.

· Registered
611 Posts
click on driver and software then on next page select os and then download on the right side of page
I don't see a button or link labeled "driver and software" only "driver and support" and that takes me to a page that says nothing about OS.

Are we looking at the same page?

You have to click on the Drivers & Software link under the Overview link as seen in the image. Then select the version of Windows.

Jack I don't see anything called "overview link" either.
Am I missing some jargon here?

· Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

on the vista laptop when you go to printers are you able to see the printer on the network? if so you should be able to go into the router settings and basically open up the ports make sure you hardwire the vista operating system machine directly to the router if the machine does not even see the printer at all not a driver issue
The Vista laptop is wired to the router. I tell it to install network printer, and
After a bit of exploring I can get it to show the "MX310 on FWT" which is what the router is called. When I tell it to install that printer, it says it does not have a driver.

I installed the disk that came with the printer on the laptop, but that as far as i can tell, has lot of menus for the printer/scanner, but I can't tell it where to find the driver. It specifically tells me there is no driver on the CD .

When I moved the printer from the XP machine to the router, it wanted a driver and it was easy to find, maybe because it was on the XP machine already. It had to be, because it worked.

· Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I apologize for the frustration I have caused all of you, and thank you for your assistance. I found the drivers where you said they would be.

I usually have to try all the blind alleys first. :banghead:
and this time was no exception.

All three machines can now print to the network printer. :dance:

Thank you again!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.