Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I've bought a GA-965P-DS4 from Gigabyte and i've had a problem finding the correct driver to put on a floppy disk in order for the operating system to recognise the HDD.

It's windows xp 32 bit home edition
the HDD is a 500GB seagate, which i'd like NOT to run in raid mode.

It's my first time at building my own PC, and im anoyed that i've come all this way only to be stuck by a driver.

I have to rant here because im so angry at gigabyte, they've thrown pictures at me, loads of numbers, and lots of cool features. But never told me once i'd need a floppy drive to install a driver. They didnt even supply a floppy disk with it on. Whats more is that: they suggest that you copy the correct driver from the disk supplied to the floppy drive. Did they know that the consumer would need Windows 98's MSDOS with CD support to do so?

The manual is definately translated from Tiawanese as well. no doubt.

Its probably natural where i am stuck: yes. But no support at all? i've had to come to a forum for hope? Never again. Last time i buy a gigabyte product.

any help will be great thanks. sorry about the rant.

Mart

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Pre-installation winXP home edition, HDD driver needed

I've seen that page and done it that way before.

Im installing windows xp, and its the F6 stage i get to where you press 'S' key and it looks at the floppy drive, press enter and it says an error.

Im at work at the moment, its a pretty common error.

The driver i need is on the CD yes, but you need windows 98 MSDOS with cd support to extract the driver from the CD and onto floppy.

There is another way, using another computer, it says to doubleclick a file named 'menu.exe' on the disk, which then opens command promt, and pops up an error (prolly cause it doesnt want you to open it: it'll mess with the PC)

and if you wanted to install drivers from the cd onto the new PC you cant because you havnt installed windows XP, and you dont have the driver required to do so. Its in a loop. And i just need the damn key.

Thanks anyway johnthepilot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Sata drive yes

Also i have got 6 sata ports, or 2 sataII ports to choose from :S

When i tried booting from the Mobo CD, it runs a program called 'Xpress Recovery 2' which is one of Gigabytes "key features" in providing safe bios stuff.

well, i could try another SATA port, and see if that works i suppose. I do know i've tried it before. But that wouldnt make a difference i think since the problem is the pre-installation of XP doesnt recognise the HDD.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I followed what the manual said up until this part..

I assume its enabled since i had to specify the function of it (Raid or Adci?)

There is no simple bios setting named 'Enable SATA?' which is why i dont remember it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Righto, that rings a bell. I'll look into when i get home m8y. Thank you very much. I'll let you know how i get on johnthepilot.

btw i definately know that gigabyte said nothing about those settings in its flipping manual.

They even start their Bios chapter with whats on their CD that came with the motherboard by showing you pictures of it, in windows XP's desktop. torture ARH!

Mart

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

No, no option whatsoever. I have to use a floppy drive. Which is anoying since nobody uses them anymore, at least i thought so. But i guess not everyone builds their own PC these days either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

OK now im even more pissed off than before. This is one sexy customer they'll never be seeing again.

Ima migrate to Asus when i need to upgrade, and if it ever stops, ima make sure gigabyte hear me.

·
Registered
23,001 Posts

Try setting BIOS to "treat" the SATA drive as an IDE device.
Enter BIOS > Integrated peripherals > SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Disabled)
and SATA Port0-3 Native Mode (Enabled).
bios.JPG

Windows installation will see the drive as an IDE drive (no driver needed). When Windows is up and running > install the SATA driver > change BIOS to "SATA mode".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

okay eneles i'll try that

when i did the other thing and try to install the driver, it came up with the message in the pre-installation the file : "txtsetup.oem" could not be found (on the floppy disk)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

omg problem's solved

you probably think im an idiot, i gave the power cable to the sata drive a bit of a wriggle and i heard a bit of life from it, i thought i wonder?...

pre-installation gets all the way to the product agreement :D

lol im so stupid.. here i was thinking i was defeated after building it, and i hadn't even truely completed building it yet :D

cheers for all your help guys, ill stick around for a bit i think :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.