Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, I've been having some issues with my PC recently. First of all, I would try to start a video game, in this case, StarCraft II, and it would freeze the PC, so I would have to hit the reset button on the computer. Problem is, I noticed it turned off the computer instantly, without restarting afterwards. I tried to push the power button the front of the computer to start it, but it wouldn't budge, so I thought I should simply turn off power to the computer from the back input/output button, wait 10 seconds, then turn it back on and power on the computer. It worked.

It stopped for a few days. But now, in the past few days, the computer would simply reset at seemingly random times. I understood it was a power supply issue, and that I should get a new power supply as quick as possible. However, today, there's been a new development. Whenever I set a video to fullscreen on an internet browser, the computer resets after 2-3 seconds of trying to play the video. I thought to updated my graphical drivers. Now the same happens when I play any video in a media player, be it Winamp, VLC, Windows Media Player or Quicktime. I tried running the StarCraft II editor, and upon the moment it loaded, and was about to display graphics...the computer reset.

I updated, today, when I noticed that fullscreen youtube videos would crash, my 110.something Nvidia drivers to 280.26 (the latest version as of this post being made). Then, I've noticed that any game or media player causes the PC to reset.

I'm thinking about getting a new power supply, but I don't have money yet, and am worried the issue might continue even if I replace it. I've heard, that bad RAM could cause the computer to reset. I'm also worried it might be graphics-related, or perhaps even be a plethora of things. Moreover, when the PC resets, I see no BSOD, not even for a fraction of a second. Same when it would shut down. Only recent time I saw a BSOD was when I budged a cable inside my PC (I leave the case open so that it breathes well) while my PC was running, and that was entirely my fault. (and it was a few days ago, and the cable that I budged was not connected to either the GPU or CPU) Upon checking the Windows events under My Computer > Manage, all I can find is "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." and that "The previous system shutdown at 6:39:45 PM on ‎29/‎09/‎2011 was unexpected.". No other errors happen before the crash...

I don't know if this is related, but I have this issue with my USB trackball mouse, which is ~7-8 years old, if not more. I have a 5-6 year old sound system, which also has some issues. The light, when the sound system is turned on, never turns on, but the two speakers work fine...Well, the left one does, but the right one is breaky...I have to turn the volume up to a certain amount, or the sound doesn't come out as loud as on the left, if it does at all. It also has a tendency to ruin whatever headphones I plug into it after 4 or 5 months of daily use. It's usually always the right headphone that breaks first. I can make it work by playing with the cable or the headphone jack, but eventually it doesn't work anymore. The trackball mouse itself stops working oftenly, and I have to unplug it and plug it back in, then give it a gentle punch on the underside. The power strip to which my PC is connected to has an input/output button with a light that flickers pretty badly. (It's suffered many surges, so I'm guessing the surge protection is gone and got to my power supply early last week, when all the issues with my PC resetting started) I've also had an issue, where, another one of the power strips in my room, which is plugged in to a different electrical outlet on a different wall, had a Nintendo DS charging into it, and even has a router/LAN plugged into it. The Nintendo DS charger broke once, when it was connected there, and the router's cable also broke...twice, and we had it replaced. I'm also worried it may just be the power to my room? Though these issues have been going on in the last 2 years. However, like I said, the problem with my PC resetting has been going on for only 1 week and a half, however.

What got me really worried is how now even my games and any full-screen videos cause a reset. My PC has a good amount of dust, but it's had more dust in it before and it never crashed. I also ran SpeedFan, and the temperatures it shows are the following:
Sys Fan: 975 RPM
CPU 0 Fan: 1148 RPM
Aux0 Fan: 0 RPM
CPU1 Fan: 0 RPM
Aux1 Fan: 0 RPM

GPU: 58C
System: 51C
CPU: 29C
AUX: 127C (I'm guessing this is the PSU...And It's always showing the same temp, so I guess this is not necessarily the real temp nor is there a way to detect it)
HD1: 41C
HD0: 44C
Core 0: 33C
Core 1: 33C
Core 2: 29C

These are the usual temperatures I've had for the past year and a half I've had this PC. The PSU is 6 years old, by the way. (It's from my old Rig, which came with this Gigabyte Chassis case) As for the rest - the GPU is 2.5 years old, and the mobo, RAM and CPU are 1.5 years old. (usage-wise, because in reality they were all bought 2.5 years ago)

Anyways, here is my DxDiag. If you suggest I do a MemTest86 or Prime95 or 3DMark (note that I can't seem to run anything that is graphics-related or it will cause a reset), I can always try.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/29/2011, 19:23:15
Machine name: ALEX06-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: P5E-VM HDMI
BIOS: BIOS Date: 12/17/07 20:54:38 Ver: 08.00.12
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
--------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 9800 GTX+

I forgot to mention, when the trackball mouse fails, I get a message from the bottom right of my windows start bar (task bar? Whatever it's called), that tells me the mouse's "driver has stopped functioning" or that it failed to install properly, but I'm guessing it's just that the mouse is malfunctioning because it's old and the cable is damaged.

PSU appears to be a model Okia-600 (600W Max). I'm guessing not top notch, right, since it's not a Corsair, XFX or Seasonic?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Re: Power Supply issue?

So it IS just the powers supply? It can also cause a reset upon watching videos in a media player and starting up a game? I'm guessing that the video driver didn't properly install, and is making the computer draw too much power when rendering graphics?

There's no damaged/bad RAM or a damaged GFX, right?

Is it ok if I get a 750W 80+ Platinum one? I really want to make sure the PSU is safe and of good quality.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

Your problems point to a power issue and any 6 yr. old PSU is a good candidate for replacement. 650W or larger will be fine.
Good Quality PSU's- SeaSonic-XFX-Corsair (not the GS or CX Series)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

AUX: 127C = no sensor
Just as I thought.

yours has no where near enough amps to run the system and is classed as junk
What's odd is it's been running this PC properly up until last week. (which means it did for a year and a half) I'm guessing it's just aged, or it was too weak and it's been stressed too much?

Your problems point to a power issue and any 6 yr. old PSU is a good candidate for replacement. 650W or larger will be fine.
Good Quality PSU's- SeaSonic-XFX-Corsair (not the GS or CX Series)
Thought it was time for a replacement, too. You're sure there's no other component that might need replacement, if the PC is still running and logging into Windows?

Should I just turn it off completely and avoid using it, to avoid any additional damage? (I have a laptop I can use...)

I'll definitely be getting a new PSU, but I just want to make sure that's all I have to do.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

Consider yourself fortunate that the PSU has not failed and damaged other components.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Consider yourself fortunate that the PSU has not failed and damaged other components.
Heh, I do. I'm just not sure if I should still use this PC until I replace the PSU. I don't want the PSU to fail and damage other components, after all.

EDIT: BTW, thank you both for your help.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

It would be wise to wait until the PSU has been replaced.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Just replaced the PSU earlier. Got a TX750 V2 Enthusiast Series 80+ Bronze by Corsair. Everything works fine! I just wanted to give everyone an update so that others might know that it is the PSU, if they run into the same problem.

This new PSU is like a brand new toy; It's so fancy and amazing, I feel almost bad using it; It's like a collector's item.

Anyways, turns out the 280.26 nVidia GeForce drivers did cause small voltage spikes as I read on another forum - Everytime I would do something graphical, the PC would reset. Now, after installing this new PSU, it doesn't happen anymore. I'm going to install an older, more stable version of the drivers, though, and I suggest everyone do so, too, if you run 280.26. The best, most stable & most recent version is 275.33.

Thank you, TechSupport, for helping me identify my issue. You've definitely gained a "customer".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.