Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

When i turn my computer on it starts to boot but then the power switches off. Anybody got any ideas?

·
TSF Enthusiast
1,425 Posts
Re: Power Problem

Hi Listy, how far into the boot proccess does it get? does it just go off, or reboot? Cheers

System specs may also be of help here

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

It depends, sometimes it starts to load up windows and sometimes it does straight after post.
Its a fujitsu Siemens with 512RAM and xp sp2, not sure what else is on it at the moment but i can get more details later.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts

does it close down completely fans and all
is there any delay in restarting the computer
any error messages

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

It closes power down completely, it will try to boot straight away when i press the power button but it just does the same thing.

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts

are you able to get into your bios? if so, is the date and time right. Also if you have a bootdisk, whether it be an antivirus one, your xp cd, linux or anything, place it into the drive and see if it will boot to that

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I did get into bios but it just powered down, i have my xp cd so i will try that

·
Registered
23,001 Posts

Any beeps before it closes down?
Have you moved the computer recently?
It sounds like you have a bad power supply or a loose connection inside the case.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

No beeps before it closes down it just switches off. It has been moved but i have opened the case and i dont see any loose connections so i will check the psu

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts

I did get into bios but it just powered down, i have my xp cd so i will try that
if you are able to get into bios and it powers down, then forget the cd part. Theres something else going on. It sounds like a bad power supply or loose connection as previously stated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks for all the help everybody, the problem is sorted. The CPU had come away from the heatsink so it was overheating. Once again thanks for the help.

·
Registered
23,001 Posts

I'm glad you got it fixed. :smile:

Keep an eye on the temperatures - you can use SensorsView (link in my signature).
When the heatsink has been displaced you usually have to reapply thermal paste.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.