Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Dell Dimension E510 desktop computer running Windows XP SP3.
The following has happened to me 4 times before. The computer will be running fine, I leave it on to finish downloads when I'm not home, and when I come back the monitor will be black (as if the power on the desktop isn't on) and the numbers 1,3, and 4 light up on the diagnostic lights, no blinking and no noises, just those solid green numbers, and of course that diagnostic problem isn't on the dell website. I've come to the conclusion that it must be overheating, since if i unplug it and wait a few days it'll be back to normal and work fine for a few months, but it happened again 4 days ago, it started working again today and 30 minutes into using it, it did to me again. So if anyone has any idea on whats wrong, please help me out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Possible power problem

Thanks for the link, this one had far more diagnostic lights than the one i had found on the Dell website, but the diagnostic lights that appear aren't on there. The lights that are on are solid green and the numbers 1 3 4. My desktop doesn't use the letters and it has the diagnostic lights in the front. I still need help with this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

like i've said before, i have already looked at the diagram for my model and looked for the diagnostic lights that come up, and they are not on there. And I kinda need to use my computer for school, i'm currently having to bum off my sister by using her laptop. So any useful assistance (as in stuff that i haven't already tried.) would be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

could you explain to me how to do that, since my computer is currently not working i can't run the program on that memory, I use my sisters laptop and then I also use the computer's at school to check the forums.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

so, when i got home today, i tried to turn on my comp. To my surprise it worked. however, five minutes (literally) into using it, it dies again with the same diagnostic lights. I removed the RAM, and it still had the same lights on, then i put one of them in and turned on the comp and still same lights, so i switched it out, same thing. So what i'm guessing is that my RAM is destroyed. Any recommendations on what RAM to buy? Unless there's a way to fix RAM

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts

you boot the computer from the memtest disk
it runs before anything else comes in

we are only guessing at this point it is a ram problem because we cannot match up the lights
so don't rush out to buy more ram

redo the paste on the cpu with some arctic silver
running for 5 min may be a heat problem
contact dell support and ask what the light sequence indicates

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Ok, thanks a lot. I'll try that out first, but i've found with dell is that their customer service is horrible, and they only know whats on the screen, but i'll give it a try anyways. And I apologize for the triple post, i didn't realize that by reloading the page after posting it would repost since its never done that b4

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts

it sometimes helps to ring back and get another tech
there are few problems with the new servers at present causing a delay in the posts going up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Well, i called Dell again today since yesterday their systems were down (but i got some valuable info from them, i just wanted to make sure, they said it was a graphic card problem) they told me i needed to pay $49 for them to tell me what the diagnostic lights on my comp meant, so i denied and went out to buy a new graphics card, lo and behold it works! So thank you so much for your help, since it did lead me down the right path to fixing my problem.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts

glad you have it sorted
it's a pity these companies will not just give this basic information out for free,it is information you would expect to accompany the computer or be covered by their online information

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.