Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Had my computer 6 months and never had the slightest issue. Upgraded the RAM yesterday to 2x4Gb Corsair Dominator GT PC3-17000 (2133mhz). Booted fine and all was OK. Then realised I hadn't altered the BIOS from 1866 to 2133 MHz and after I did so the computer immediately gave me a BSOD with a memory problem during boot (sorry forgot to note the exact message). Changed it back to 1866 and it resolutely refused to boot for about 10 minutes giving BSOD messages about a page fault in a non paged area. After a few attempts at windows repair it did boot, and I tried to use system restore to go back a bit to head off any further problems but it failed to complete. I also found that my save games on Battlefield 3 wouldn't load and I had to restart the single player. But the computer seemed to be working and I ran 3DMARK 11 and then Prime95 for 10 minutes and all seemed to be well apart from having to restart BF3 from the beginning. But this afternoon I got the BSOD again (page fault) on start up. Worked fine on second attempt but I'm concerned as to what's going on.

Ran the windows memory diagnostic and checked the modules are seated correctly and all is apparently well. It's only given me a BSOD on boot up and never after successfully booting up i.e during high intensity gaming etc. or PRIME95 and combined with the fact that files on my hard disk do seem to have been corrupted (system restore etc) I'm wondering if it's something there.

I have a Z68 Board with a 64GB SSD Cache drive which is set to enhanced mode but I'm wondering if the original crash during boot has caused some files to go bye-bye. I don't want to re-format and re-install everything un-necessarily.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Full specs
Thermaltake level 10GT
1350W thermaltake PSU
ASUS ROG maximus iv extreme Z68
i7-2700k at 4.6 via turbo (been like that for 6 months no issues)
2x4GB corsair as detailed above
2xMSI twin frozr iii 570GTX SLI (stock OC)
Prolimatech megahalems cpu cooler (2 fans push/pull)

Just done it again....but this time it said check I have enough disk space and then at the bottom gave a windows STOP code 0x0000007E and then iastor.sys FFFFF8800149e67E base at FFFFF88001442000 datestamp 4db70999

definitely seeming like a corruption problem unless someone can suggest something. Again only on start up, and works fine at second attempt and stable.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Re: possible memory problem but complicated

Have you tried using the RAM you used previously?
MemTest is the best app to use for suspected RAM problems. It should be ran on one stick at a time and make several passes for accurate results.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Have you tried using the RAM you used previously?
MemTest is the best app to use for suspected RAM problems. It should be ran on one stick at a time and make several passes for accurate results.
Not yet. I chucked them into a box in the corner without much care so they're probably static damaged - I'll give them a go and see what happens in any case.

·
Registered
227 Posts

I'd say you ether:

have a bad stick

or

that MB is picky, and some of asus's are, not as bad as they used to be though

you probably didn't need to do a windows repair, it was probably not booting because of memory problems, and all crashes and bsod's afterwards are probably related to this fact

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

A retail Asus Mobo should have no compatibility issues with Corsair RAM.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

Well I've stuck some new modules in and haven't had a problem since then - the new modules are identical to the old ones that started the problem. The computer came with 2x2Gb Corsair Dominator GT - the only difference with the new modules is that they're 2x4gb and that they're PC3-17000 rather than 16000. I've sent the *faulty* modules back and will wait to see what they say - but 4 days without a crash seems to speak for itself.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

Memory Standard for your Mobo is DDR3 2200(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1600/1333.

Glad you found the issue and got it resolved.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Kind of embarrassed here...but there's a lesson here for everyone in what I'm about to write.

Just had another crash last night - similar to before except it crashed initially shortly after booting up, giving an error message with Origin start up and then error messages from google chrome saying that "the line at...referenced by..could not be found" or something similar. After 2 or 3 minutes of this it hung up and I had to reset the computer - and then the BSODs started "ntfs.sys" or "memory_management" being the issue.

I realised I couldn't be THAT unlucky as to get two sets of faulty modules, so looked again at what else it could be. That's when I noticed the new modules were 1.5V. :uhoh: The old ones that came with the computer were 1.65V even though they are identical in appearance and are also Dominator GT. The only difference was the new modules were 2x4Gb and PC3-17000 and the old were 2x2Gb and PC-16000.

Haven't heard back from overclockers on the modules I sent back but I've a fairly good idea why they were crashing :facepalm:

One final question - Am I likely to have damaged the new modules which I received on Wednesday morning and were running at 1.65 instead of 1.5V until today (Sunday morning)?

Thankyou for your assistance and the lesson here is that "assumption is the mother of all f*ck-ups".

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Just an addition to the post earlier - they were overvoltaged but underclocked in that I was running them at 1866 instead of 2133. I've just tried running them at 2133 with the correct voltage and it caused about 10 mintues worth of BSOD, even though I put the clock speeds back to 1866 after the first boot attempt. Back up and running again but I'm wondering if I've answered my own question as to whether they're damaged? or could it be because the "optional" airflow fans aren't fitted to the memory - as my fans on the CPU cooler prevent them being fitted.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

RAM cooling fans are more of a gimmick than they are useful.
The only way to insure the RAM is good would be to test it or replace and see if the problems continue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Just thought I should let you all know I've finally, touch wood, got to the root of the problem. The memory I bought has a sticker on the modules saying that the CAS timings were 9-11-9-27. So that's what I set them as. As I explained earlier I got them running at 1866Mhz but with the occasional BSOD on boot(once or twice a month). Finally got sick of that and had a good root through the BIOS and noticed it was saying that the modules should have 9-11-10-27 timings...so I changed it to what it was telling me, raised the memory speed to 2133...and the computer boots and runs perfectly. Previously at 2133Mhz it would ALWAYS crash either on boot or within a few minutes after giving a bunch of random application error messages. Shocking QC from corsair that different i.e wrong timings are printed on the modules.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Glad you got it worked out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.