Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was wondering if someone would be able to help me.

My PC sometimes refuses to boot, the symptoms are:

Power goes through the computer (the hdds spin and the dvd drive will open when pressed) but no signal goes to the monitors and the mobo gives off a second-long beep. After the beep nothing happens although the hdds continue to spin.

I'm pretty sure it's a heat issue, as this tends to happen after switching it off for a short period of time. I do tend to keep my pc on 24/7 and once or twice the machine has randomly rebooted. Also, on a few occasions a fan (pretty sure it's the heatsink) has made a horrible noise for the entire boot-up process.

I'm sorry if this post is a bit disjointed, I'm attempting to write it on my iPhone that's about to die on me.

If it helps my mobo is an abit fatality fn9 (or something like that, I can't tell because I can't view a new page without losing this post).

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: PC sometimes turns on, sometimes doesn't!

It's been off for 14 hours and it's still not turning on. I've opened the case and watched the component spin up and now think it's due to the gfx card.

The on-board fan on the card makes a terrible noise, and no signal goes to the monitors.

At the same time when this happened in January the mobo told me that I had installed a new processor, which I hadn't done!

Also, no power goes to my keyboard, which is a USB.

Should I just wait until it does boot and post the temp and voltage readings?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

My video card is a PowerColor Radeon X1950PRO 512MB, it comes with an arctic cooling cooler on it which used to run pretty silent but as I said makes a bit of a noise.

My current PSU is an Antec 500W Earthwatts PSU that came with my case.

I'm using a friends laptop so just in case you need any other details, the machine is:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB Cache
Abit FATALITY FP-IN9 SLI Socket 775 NF650i DDR2 ATX

It was put together December 2007, and started messing up around January.

Thanks

· Emeritus
51,728 Posts

If the cooling fan on the video card is making noise it obviously failing.
Do you have a video card to substitute?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks dai, it's all working now, not sure if it'll stay working but at least it boots up.

I'll change the thread to solved, I hope I don't need to reopen it in the future.

Thanks everyone for all your help, I would never have guessed in a million years that it was the PSU, seeing as power was still going to all the components.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.