Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a a very frustrating problem. My PC shuts off immediately and is very sporadic at doing so. Happens most frequently when watching a DVD or playing a CD, but has shut off while using Word, Outlook, or Excel as well.

I'm never running more than 2 applications at the same time. I don't play any games. I recently downloaded speedfan, readings look good except there is a "fire" icon next to the second core, and it's temp is reading between 50-52C.

Here's some info about my PC, and thank you in advance for all your help!!!

Systemax
Mid-Tower ATX Chassis w/350W PS K8N Neo4-F Motherboard
Microsoft Windows XP Professional w/ Service Pack 2
AMD Athlon 64 X2-4400+ Dual Core Processor
1GB DDR400 PC3200 Memory (1GB x 1)
250GB 7200RPM 3G SATA II Hard Drive
GeForce 6600GT 128MB PCI-Express Graphics Card
SoundBlaster Live 24-Bit PCI Sound Card (no Game Port)

Let me know if there is anything else i need to post. :4-dontkno

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: PC shuts off immediately

Hi Bimbus
It sounds like a heat problem, check for dust buildup on fans and heatsink,you may have a fan fayling,try opening the case and putting a fan blowing in the box to see if it helps, if it does then check the fans,make shure the wires arn't all cluttered up,air needs to flow from front to back of the pc

·
Registered
112 Posts

Is your power supply a generic one? A 350w generic PSU will not power that system properly.

Also, I wouldn't trust speedfan for reading the temps. Try Everest.

T

·
0 Posts

@jb: Both read the same sensors, what you will find on Speedfan you will find on Everest if I am correct.

@68: Very good suggestion, these are the main factors of overheating issues, besides for the PSU which was recommended by jb.

@bimbus:

Post these while IDLE and UNDER STRESS:

It has come to my attention that you might have a heat or voltage issue with your computer. We can not assume that it is one of these so we will go ahead and check. I would like you to download and install the program Speedfan. When you are done installing Speedfan open and look for 3 columns. One should have temperatures, the other should have voltages, and the last one should contain your fan speeds. When you have found this information please post to me in a column such as this: (Example)

Temperatures

Temp1: 30 C
Temp2: 60 C
HD0: 44 C

Voltages (only for desktops)

5.5V: 5.5
3.33V: 3.24

Fan Speeds

Speed1: 2480 RPM

(Remember this is just an example, please post your exact information)
If you are running on a Dell Laptop please follow these steps then post your temperatures, voltages, and fan speeds:

• Open Speedfan
  • Click Configure on the Main Screen
  • Go to the Options Tab
  • Check the: "Enable DELL Support (use this function only on DELL notebooks)" check box
  • Click Ok then Close Speedfan
  • Start Speedfan once again
Then post your temperatures, voltages, and fan speeds.

·
Registered
112 Posts

I suggested Everest because I've seen it read static temps of around 50 degrees before. My old mobo had a reading of 52 that never changed, and speedfan thought it was the CPU. Everest didn't make such a mistake, in fact it didn't even show the 52 degree sensor.

I've actually come across that situation more than just with my own PC.

T

·
0 Posts

I guess, this is correct as the programming that reads the sensors can be different, well, I can never say no to any post so:

Bimbus: I would like you to give us the temps, voltages, and fan speeds from BOTH programs. It is always good to get a second opinion from another program :grin:, isn't that right jb? :smile:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks for the replies so far...

My power supply is an Allied AL-C350ATX...i have no clue what is "generic" and what isn't. Luckily I was able to get some readouts under stress before it shut-off again. When I rebooted it shut off another time when I only ran IE to get back to this forum. Now I'm accessing this with my laptop.

Everything looks clean inside. I took the side panels off and ran a fan. Here are the readouts.

With external fan running...SPEEDFAN (PC idle/STRESS);
Temp 1: 25C 26C
Temp 2: 30C 32C
Temp 3: 21C 23C
HD0: 27C 31C
Temp 1: 22C 22C
Core: 31C 33C
Core: 43C 48C
Ambient: 0C 0C
Fan 1: 2909 RPM
Fan 2: 4219 RPM
Fan 3: 5870 RPM

I dont understand why the 3rd fan...i only have 2 inside my tower...

Vcore: 1.33V 1.32V
+12V: 12.59V 12.52V
3.3V: 3.17V 3.15V
Vcc: 5.04V 5.04V
Vin2: 0.00V 0.00V
5vsb: 5.01V 5.01V
Vbat: 0.00V 0.00V

EVEREST (idle / stress)

MoBo: 26C 27C
CPU: 30C 32C
CPU #1/Core #1: 29C 31C
CPU #1/Core #2: 29C 33C
GPU Diode: 44C 48C

Cooling Fans:
CPU: 4219
System: 2872
NorthBridge: 5819

Voltage Values:
CPU Core: 1.35V 1.35V
+3.3V: 3.30V 3.30V
+5V: 5.08V 5.08V
+12V: (Trial version)
+5v standby: 4.92V
VBAT Battery: 3.02V

One other thing that is odd...even though I always let the "scan for errors" run every time i power up my pc, when i hit any key to skip, it doesn't skip...the timer contiues to count down and starts the scan.

Look forward to hearing what you think...

·
Registered
112 Posts

I think it's your power supply.

Good reliable replacement brands would be Antec, Enermax, OCZ, PC Power & Cooling. There's probably other goods brands that are cheaper, but I just got up so I can't think of them right now ;)

Edit: And your keyboard is USB?
Edit2: Wait a minute, why is it scanning? Are you using the FAT32 file system?

T

·
0 Posts

jb: The power supply can cause this the voltages came up as negatives so we ruled out the PSU.

Run the manufacturer of the HD's Diagnostic on your drive, this might be a dieing drive. Also run chkdsk /f and see if it repairs anything. Then try to boot up and if this does not work try sfc /scannow (all commands are done on the Recovery Console in the Windows Disk).

Please, follow EVERYTHING stated :smile:

·
Registered
112 Posts

The voltages are reading as more or less within spec, but we both know that motherboards reading isn't accurate and the voltages don't need to be out for a PSUs over current protection to trip and turn itself off. My money is still on the power supply.

T

·
0 Posts

True, so lets go low level information gatherng :smile: very good point you made there, I have my suspicions about the PSU but its always to check everything :smile:.

@Bimbus: I am seeing that your computer might have a voltage or overheating issue that is preventing from booting normally into Windows. Start up your computer by either tapping the F1, F2, F4, F6, F8, F10, F11, F12, or Delete keys to access the systems BIOS. For the exact information on what key to start up the System BIOS refer back to Original Manufacturer System Documentation.

After getting into the BIOS, look for a page that would have something like, eg. PC Health Screen or System Monitoring Page. When you have found a page similar to this post back what the BIOS says for your temperatures, voltages, and fan speeds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Wel...I'm glad got to read this first...

I shutdown my PC to reboot and read the BIOS page...power light was on for half a second, then nothing...thought I didn't press the button hard enough, but no. Nothing. Dead as a doornail. I guess I'm off to the store in the morning for a new PS.

My keyboard is wireless, the "sensor" is USB. And yes, I'm using FAT32, is that a problem?

How many watts should I get??? 500, 650?

·
Registered
112 Posts

Re keyboard: the USB wont be initialised until windows has loaded completely.

Re FAT32: FAT32 is a terrible slow and unreliable filesystem that is over 10 years old. It is especially bad if you have a partition larger than 15GB or so. You can convert your C drive to NTFS by typing convert C: /fs:ntfs, it will ask to reboot afterwards. While I have never had problems with this command, messing around with the filesystem is always risky, so you should have everything backed up before you attempt this just to be safe. By the way, if you need your data accessed within Win 95/98/ME, don't do this, those old operating systems don't support NTFS.

Re PSU: 400w would be enough for your system. Do not get fooled by cheap PSUs claiming to be 500 or 650w. Even cheap PSUs claiming to be 300w are dodgy. Something like this Antec would be good, or if you were ever planning on upgrading your videocard something like this Enermax might be more suitable. Again, do not go cheap otherwise you'll be in for the same problem as you've already had, except next time it might take out your motherboard with it.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts

Antec Earthwatts 500 for $35 after rebate. Free shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371007

I would have said PSU also, based on your Speedfan voltage readings.
Vcore: 1.33V 1.32V
+12V: 12.59V 12.52V
ATX Spec range is 11.4v-12.6v. If Speedfan was accurate, then your PSU was likely overvolting on this rail and shutting down.
3.3V: 3.17V 3.15V
ATX Spec range is 3.135v-3.465v This is also getting close to lower spec.
Vcc: 5.04V 5.04V
Vin2: 0.00V 0.00V
5vsb: 5.01V 5.01V
Vbat: 0.00V 0.00V

Have a look at the "Power Supply Info" link in my signature below, for some good information about power supply selection, and some recommended units.

T

·
0 Posts

Sorry, Matt, wasn't reading to hard, trying to juggle a Microsoft Presentation about segregation and TSF Support at the same time :grin:

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts

Sorry, Matt, wasn't reading to hard, trying to juggle a Microsoft Presentation about segregation and TSF Support at the same time :grin:
No worries.
You did the right thing, by asking the OP to check the voltages in the BIOS to verify the readings. There is likely some file system damage also due to the frequent random shutdowns, but that will have to be determined after he gets the new PSU.

You're doing a great job in hardware, keep it up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Off to the store...will post as soon as I get it installed...or run into any problems.

Thanks again for the support and advice. :pray:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

OK...back up and running...i bought an Antec TP3-430

SPEEDFAN (PC STRESS);
Temp 1: 30C
Temp 2: 34C
Temp 3: 23C
HD0: 34C
Temp 1: 22C
Core: 35C
Core: 49C
Ambient: 0C 0C
Fan 1: 2789 RPM
Fan 2: 4219 RPM
Fan 3: 5819 RPM

Vcore: 1.33V
+12V: 12.34V
3.3V: 3.15V
Vcc: 4.85V
Vin2: 0.00V
5vsb: 4.91V
Vbat: 0.00V

EVEREST (stress)

MoBo: 30C
CPU: 33C
CPU #1/Core #1: 31C
CPU #1/Core #2: 34C
GPU Diode: 50C

Cooling Fans:
CPU: 4327
System: 2801
NorthBridge: 5819

Voltage Values:
CPU Core: 1.33V
+3.3V: 3.25V
+5V: 4.89V
+12V: (Trial version)
+5v standby: 4.98V
VBAT Battery: 2.94V

So far no shut offs...any suggestions on configuring? I guess next step too is to back up everything and get off of FAT32???

:grin:

T

·
0 Posts

I guess you could but the FAT32 FS was an okay filesystem. Sure it is not good with space requirements but there are Pro's to it. I do not remember there cons or pros but I am sure that FAT32 is ok to run on. Only if you have an issue then you should move to the NTFS File system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Is 50C-53C still too warm??? That's what its been reading at so far.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.