Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My desktop freezes at "Loading PBR for descriptor 2...done". I was able to resolve this once before by running the recovery console and using FIXBOOT.

I am trying to do the same again, but my PC will not boot from the reinstallation CD (which has the recovery console). I set the BIOS to boot from CD first. When I press F12 and select CD-ROM, it takes a while and finally says "no boot device available".

I was able to boot from the diagnostic CD that came with the computer, so it's not the optical drive. I tried running the utility partition because I was curious, and I got some error there as well.

·
Premium Member
41,817 Posts
Re: PC not booting from CD

Download the Recovery Console ISO image. Burn the image to CD using IMGBurn from my signature. Boot into Setup (Bios) go to Boot Priority change First Boot Device to CD/DVD rom drive. Save and Exit.
Boot off of the newly created CD and get to the Recovery Console to type in the commands.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Is there a USB friendly version of this that I can boot from? Also, will this .iso work considering it is not the one provided with my system?

"It’s not much use on modern computers with sata drives as it does not include the drivers for such devices"

·
Decessit
68,881 Posts

Is your drive sata and I think the reason SF gave you the iso is so that you can try a fresh copy and hopefully rule out any issue with the disc,Also does your bios allow for booting from usb.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

It is a 2007 Dell PC, so I believe it does allow booting from USB. Hard drive is SATA.

Would Hiren's BootCD be of any use to me? Can I run fixboot from there? What other tools on Hiren's should/could I use? MiniXP?

·
Decessit
68,881 Posts

We don't use Hiren's it breaks to many Eula's and is therefore illegal.
the full make and model would be helpful.
I missed answering your question on whether the iso would work, it should do SF has helped many people with it,and the disc route is usually a better bet with xp.
if you need something other than Hiren's try Ultimate boot CD

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

Dell Inspiron 530, Windows XP SP3, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB hard drive, 11/2007 manufacture date.

Can I run chkdsk and fixboot from UBCD? I don't want to do anything without being absolutely sure I'm taking the right steps and that the procedure is well-documented, as I'm not sure how delicate a situation my hard drive is in. If I can use these commands safely without the recovery CD that came with my system, I will do that.

*From what I understand, chkdsk is a somewhat intensive process. Can I use UBCD to save my files to a USB before proceeding?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

If my computer is not able to boot from this CD like with the recovery disk, is there an alternate method that uses USB? I will try this first, but I'm just curious. I'm at work right now, so I'll let you know how this goes once I get home.

Thanks for the quick replies btw.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I'll try the recovery console iso first then UBCD if necessary. Also, the manual says I can boot from USB.

Will force mounting the hard drive in Ubuntu damage it in any way?

·
Decessit
68,881 Posts

No it should not have any effect, I have had many people use the ubuntu method successfully with no issues ever reported

·
Premium Member
41,817 Posts

First boot into Setup (Bios) go to Boot Priorities and if you have the option to Boot From USB, using your arrow key set that as First Boot Device.
You can use WintoFlash or ISOtoUSB to burn the Recovery Console ISO to your USB Flash drive. You can also burn Ubuntu to USB Flash or UBCD for USB to boot to and try to recover your data to an external HDD.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Thanks SF but will the recovery console iso work considering I have a SATA drive? Will I be able to run chkdsk and fixboot commands without any problems? Do these commands have anything to do with the installed OS?

"It’s not much use on modern computers with sata drives as it does not include the drivers for such devices"

·
Premium Member
41,817 Posts

The Recovery Console is the same one that comes on the XP CD that you installed your OS with, so yes it will work whether it is a IDE or a SATA drive. The only condition is that you have XP installed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Am I going to run into this problem since I have a Inspiron 530?

[ubuntu] "boot error" message on boot from usb created with "USB startup disk Creator "

The solution appears to be:

go to Bios Boot Menu...
Search for ' USB Mass Storage Emulation type'
Default:<Auto>
Change it to:<All Fixed Disc>
or something similar

I'm not sure whether my BIOS has this setting. Can you confirm? I don't see anything in the manual about it. If so, what do I do?

·
Decessit
68,881 Posts

There is no reason to think so,your spending more time looking for issues than you are fixing the one you have, concentrate on that and leave other obscure issues that have not shown any indications of appearing to obscurity.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.