Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

Since this AM, my PC is hanging during startup. I have tried 6-7 restarts with no luck. At the time it hangs, I either get a black screen or my regular desktop with an incomplete set of icons. Twice, I got an error message indicating that there was a problem accessing idtsg.cpl. I Googled "idtsg.cpl" and found this thread here dealing with a problem with the same Control Panel file. The solution for MythT's problem will not work for me since I cannot get the startup to complete.

The last thing I did last night was to update an icon package using Stardock's iconpackager. I was changing the Control Panel icons, so my suspicion is that it it related to that program, but I can tell for sure. How can I start explorer.exe despite this error? How can I solve the problem with idtsg.cpl?

Thanks,

Edwin

·
TSF - Enthusiast
15,298 Posts
Re: PC hangs on startup

Hello EdwRom,

Will the system start in Safe Mode. Restart the system and repeatedly tap the F8 key. If you can access safe mode you can try to run system restore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: PC hangs on startup

Thanks makinu1der2:
I was able to start Windows in Safe mode and use the last system restore point. I lost all the work I did yesterday with Iconpackager but it was well worth it!

Edwin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.