Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently I upgrade to Windows 7 from Windows XP. I did a fresh install wiping the system clean about 2-3 weeks ago. All updates including SP1 for Windows 7 are installed.

I'm getting random freezes. If i'm playing Modern Warfare 2, watching a movie via winamp, just letting utorrent run, and sometimes just surfing the web.

I've installed all the latest drivers that I can think of. These freezes do not result in a bsod the computer just locks up and I have to hard reset the computer.

System Info:
Hardware Age: Built in Feb 2008
OS Install Age: 2-3 Weeks

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Motherboard: ABit ip35 Pro
Power Supply: Antex TruePower Trio (TP3-550)

Driver Verifier: Ran and nothing found
Memory: Ran memtest multiple timers over several days, no errors reported
Harddrives: No errors found

I'm 95% positive this is a software related issue I just cant track it down. I have a background in PC Support etc etc just need someone else to look see and perhaps find something I've missed

Attachments

·
Registered
768 Posts
Re: PC Freezing (No Actual BSOD's)

It looks like you have the sptd driver on your computer. Do you or did you have Deamon Tools or Alcohol 120% installed? If you still have it installed run this removal tool DuplexSecure. If it is not installed I would like for you to change sptd.sys to sptd.bak.
Code:
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\sptd.sys
I also see that you have RivaTuner installed. This is known to cause issues in Windows 7. Please uninstall while we troubleshoot your issue.

Code:
11/5/2009 8:14:57 AM   C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\Rt86win7.sys
Update your Realtek network drivers from here

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

It looks like you have the sptd driver on your computer. Do you or did you have Deamon Tools or Alcohol 120% installed? If you still have it installed run this removal tool DuplexSecure. If it is not installed I would like for you to change sptd.sys to sptd.bak.
Code:
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\sptd.sys
I also see that you have RivaTuner installed. This is known to cause issues in Windows 7. Please uninstall while we troubleshoot your issue.

Code:
11/5/2009 8:14:57 AM   C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\Rt86win7.sys
Update your Realtek network drivers from here
I had Daemon Tools installed and since reading posts on here I uninstalled it. Since your post I have renamed the sptd.sys to .bak

I also uninstalled RivaTuner and updated my Realtek network drivers.

I will post if my system continues to freeze up.

Thanks for the quick response.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

So after completing all the items you suggested I rebooted. Fired up MW2 and decided to give it a go. System froze up about 10 mins into a game. Should I run a new perfmon and stuff and upload a new report?

·
Registered
768 Posts

Have you checked your temps? You might have overheating issues. You can download GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility to check your video card temps. You can also take a can of air and blow out the fans and heat sinks inside your case. Just make sure you hold the blades of the fan when you spray so they don't free spin.

You could also upload another report. Maybe something else will pop up that I didn't notice before.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Have you checked your temps? You might have overheating issues. You can download GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility to check your video card temps. You can also take a can of air and blow out the fans and heat sinks inside your case. Just make sure you hold the blades of the fan when you spray so they don't free spin.

You could also upload another report. Maybe something else will pop up that I didn't notice before.
Yeah i've ran stress test on the cpu for 5 hours with no errors max cpu/gpu temps were in the 55C range. I'm using an Antec 900 case with ungodly amounts of cooling. I have recently taken all my fans out cleaned them including the graphics card fan and reran wires to improve air flow.

I've ran a new jcgriff2 and attached it. I'm to the point I'm really thinking of wiping the system and seeing what happens. I'm clueless as to what would be causing this. I've attached a new report after all the changes perhaps somethign else will catch your eye.

Thanks for all your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
768 Posts

The only thing that is still popping out to me is that sptd is trying to load at start up. Go into MSCONFIG and to the startup tab and see if you can find any reference to sptd.

I'm lost on ideas. I am going to have someone more experienced take a look at this and see if I missed something. Hold off on formatting the hard drive for a couple days

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The only thing that is still popping out to me is that sptd is trying to load at start up. Go into MSCONFIG and to the startup tab and see if you can find any reference to sptd.

I'm lost on ideas. I am going to have someone more experienced take a look at this and see if I missed something. Hold off on formatting the hard drive for a couple days
Ive ran regedit and did a find on sptd and removed all the items referencing it. Also checked msconfig and there was nothing in startup.

On a side note. I just watched an episode of Breakout Kings I downloaded with utorrent running in the background. My system has been up and running for 1 h 22m now.

Its so intermittent its frustrating

·
TSF Team Emeritus
6,147 Posts

Yeah i've ran stress test on the cpu for 5 hours with no errors max cpu/gpu temps were in the 55C range.
If the stress test wasn't Prime95 then please run Prime95 aswell: CPU - Stress Test with Prime95 - Windows 7 Forums (run the Blend test as well as the SmallFFTs test)

_________

How long were you using XP on the system prior to Win 7 install? Since build in 2008? Zero issues under XP?

_________

Run this tool, if it shows high DPC latency then follow the instructions to find which driver (if any) is the cause - DPC Latency Checker

_________

I see you only have 2GB RAM. While this is enough to run Windows 7 normally (one of the systems here is a 1.86Ghz Core 2 Duo with 2GB that runs W7 Pro surprisingly fast) if you are pushing the limits with programs such as MW2, then you may encounter increased paging activity which can cause freezes, although I would expect them to be temporary (like a lag spike).

Go to Start -> type resmon press enter -> Memory tab -> Run MW2 then Alt+Tab see how much RAM is being used. Also go to the Disk tab and see if the Page File is being accessed a lot compared to other files.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

If the stress test wasn't Prime95 then please run Prime95 aswell: CPU - Stress Test with Prime95 - Windows 7 Forums (run the Blend test as well as the SmallFFTs test)
I used that guide to stress test the system

How long were you using XP on the system prior to Win 7 install? Since build in 2008? Zero issues under XP?
I've used XP up until a few weeks ago with no issues.

Run this tool, if it shows high DPC latency then follow the instructions to find which driver (if any) is the cause - DPC Latency Checker
Ran this program and Its not detecting anything up into the Red bar but there is one that hits the yellow marker on occasion. I disabled devices and it seems it MIGHT be the Belkin Wirless USB Adapter. Has anyone seen any issues with these and windows 7?

I see you only have 2GB RAM. While this is enough to run Windows 7 normally (one of the systems here is a 1.86Ghz Core 2 Duo with 2GB that runs W7 Pro surprisingly fast) if you are pushing the limits with programs such as MW2, then you may encounter increased paging activity which can cause freezes, although I would expect them to be temporary (like a lag spike).

Go to Start -> type resmon press enter -> Memory tab -> Run MW2 then Alt+Tab see how much RAM is being used. Also go to the Disk tab and see if the Page File is being accessed a lot compared to other files.
Initially I deducted that it was the lack of ram when playing mw2. I ran resmon and notices I was using 100% ram and noticed hard faults / sec went pretty high.

I havent tried mw2 in a while but the system freezes up randomly. Sometimes during mw2, sometimes just websurfing along with viewing a movie in winamp or just sitting idle say with no programs running and I step away for a smoke, I come back and its froze.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
6,147 Posts

Ran this program and Its not detecting anything up into the Red bar but there is one that hits the yellow marker on occasion. I disabled devices and it seems it MIGHT be the Belkin Wirless USB Adapter. Has anyone seen any issues with these and windows 7?
Yes, USB wireless adapters of all brands are notorious for causing BSODs/freezes on Win7. Run using wired networking for a while and see if freezes still occur.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Yes, USB wireless adapters of all brands are notorious for causing BSODs/freezes on Win7. Run using wired networking for a while and see if freezes still occur.
Will do. The cable modem is 2 rooms down in my roommates room so i'm going to have to get a long enough cat5 cable made. I will update in a few days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Before you go to that expense, I would check that you have the latest driver for the device - Belkin : Support

If that doesn't fix it, go ahead with the wired connection.
I was 95% sure I updated all the drivers for my system. Guess I should of bet on that 5%. Apparently they were out of date on the usb wireless adapter. I've updated them and my system has been stable for 24 hours. Its been idle, d/ling with utorrent and even played a few games of mw2. So if someone has rights they can mark this is (SOLVED) thanks for everyones time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.