35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

So I've just replaced some of my PC parts with the following
- 720 W P4-A720 PSU
- 1090T AMD Phenom II CPU X6
- 2 GB Kingston RAM DDR3
- M4N68T-M V2 MOBO

Alright, so I'm able to get up to the Windows 7 logo screen which is when the computer will blue screen. I can't see what it says as the text is smaller than it usually is for me, and the blue screen only lasts for half a second. I'm thinking that it's most likely the PSU as I notice that when I switch my CPU to 6 core from 4 core, it crashes faster. Also, the PSU is obviously from one of those cheaper PSU brands. It is the P4-A720 APOWER PSU, which only costs about $70AU. I just want to make sure that it is the PSU before I buy another one (I'm thinking of the CX-600W V2 Corsair PSU)

I also think that it could be that I had not applied enough thermal paste. I'm pretty sure that I did apply enough (I put about a pea size amount, then spread it around) but I have read that not putting enough will cause the PC to crash. Other then them two, I'm thinking that I was suppose to update my BIOS or something like that which I haven't done yet.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Re: PC crashing after new hardware installation

Hi Sleekism,

If you change your Motherboard (and other hardware components for that matter) You need to do a complete reinstallation of your Operating system. The other installation you still have in, is bound to your other hardware, and thus will not work. It either results in no boot at all or bluescreens.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Phew, now I don't have to replace my PSU! Thanks so much, going to reinstall now :pray:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts

Awesome, let us know how everything works out!

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,389 Posts

Phew, now I don't have to replace my PSU! Thanks so much, going to reinstall now :pray:
Just to note - no one here guaranteed that PSU is not an issue. Nothing in the dumps or the system files will ever tell us "PSU is bad...". No guarantees can ever be made where BSODs are concerned. . . only suggestions based on our collective experiences.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

It's working well now!!:grin:

Thank you both so much, finally after buying part after part because there was always a conflict with the different hardware I bought (such as buying a new mobo, only to stupidly not notice how it uses DDR3 RAM when I was still on DDR2), my PC is finally up and running! :pray:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.