·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PC is:
Asrock motherboard 4CoreDual-SATA2 LGA775
Tsunami case AR-46 Midi tower 600W PSU
Intel CPU Pentium DualCore E2180 2x2.0GHz 800MHz 1Mb LGA775
2gb Kingston DDR II 667mhz RAM (upgraded from 1.5gb DDR I)
250Gb Western Digital HDD (IDE0 - Master)
Sony DVD-RW (IDE0 - Slave)
500Gb Seagate Barracuda HDD (IDE1 - Master)
Phillips DVD-RW (IDE1 - Slave)

I'm running with a 22" Samsung Monitor (primary monitor - through DVI) and also an ACER projector (secondary cloned monitor - through VGA)

Was running an AGP Sapphire Radeon 1650pro

Recently tried installing Gainward GeForce 9600 GT 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E

The machine is a recent rebuild/upgrade from my previous machine (kept HDD's and DVD drives). Had it running fine using the AGP 1650 pro for about three months, but it wasn't good enough for my (newly discovered) gaming needs.

So... Bought 2Gb DDRII and the 9600.

Uninstalled all drivers for ATI card and then removed that and then changed BIOS settings so PCI-E was the primary graphic card, installed the 9600. Managed to install all drivers okay and set the resolution to 1280x1024 (my projector doesn't support any higher)...

Shortly after (I never used the system straight after installing) i tried turning it on and it's been having problems.

The boot-up screen runs very very slowly (i.e. twenty/thirty seconds to read RAM) and then after a random period of time just shuts down for no apparent reason.
I have managed to get far enough to get into BIOS and changed all settings back to optimal defaults.
I've reset CMOS (removed battery, etc.)
I've also tried removing/reseating everything except the CPU/Cooler/etc. to no avail.
I've also tried removing the 9600GT and putting the ATI 1650 pro (which i know works) back, but still BIOS runs very very slowly and "shut's itself down" after a period of time.

I'm at a loss as to what else it could be... The only other thing i can think is i've fried the motherboard, but then why would it have worked in the first place?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Re: PC continually shutting down during startup.

What is the brand name and amps per the +12 rail on your power supply. (information on the side of the power supply) Also, check the temperatures and voltages in the bios and report back.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

What is the brand name and amps per the +12 rail on your power supply. (information on the side of the power supply) Also, check the temperatures and voltages in the bios and report back.
I'm at work at the moment, so can't check brand name of PSU...
Also, 99% of the time i've been trying i can't get as far as the BIOS setup before the PC shut's itself down!

·
Registered
25,111 Posts

When you get home, take the side panel of the case off and then put a house fan blowing directly on the CPU area, fire up the computer and see if it stays on long enough to get in to the bios. With that and the other info we need, might get enough to see what is going on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

When you get home, take the side panel of the case off and then put a house fan blowing directly on the CPU area, fire up the computer and see if it stays on long enough to get in to the bios. With that and the other info we need, might get enough to see what is going on.
Cheers for the response... I'll check it out once i get home!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Managed to find what i 'believe' are the details for my PSU:
Specifications:
- Fan: 12 cm x 1
- Voltage switch(I/O): x 1
- Slide switch: x 1
- 20+4 pin connector: x 1
- 4 pin+12V connector: x 1
- 4 Pin Berg Connector: x 1
- 4 Pin Molex Connector: x 5
- SATA connector: x 2
- P1 outlet: 450mm
- PCI connector: x 1

+3.3V: 23 Amp
+5V: 32 Amp
+12V: 25 Amp
-12V: 0.5 Amp
+5VSB: 2 Amp

Does this help any?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Correction...
My PSU is a Tsunami T600 V2.0 (came with the Case) and details are below:
+3.3v - 32 Amp
+5v: - 32 Amp
+12v: - 26 Amp

-5v: - 0.3 Amp
-12v: - 0.8 Amp
+5vsb: - 2.5 Amp

I've had my computer sitting open cased on my chest of drawers with a home fan (14" blades) blowing at full pelt onto the motherboard/cpu and i'm still getting exactly the same thing... It starts up BIOS very very slowly and then at any random time within say 2 seconds and a 90 seconds the computer just turns itself off so unfortunately i can't provide any Temperature settings!

It's really frustrating because it was working fine and all i changed was the RAM (recognises that fine and i've also tried switching back) and the Graphics Card (but again, that's now been switched back)... Obviously i took the power out and grounded myself before touching/removing anything so i can't see how i'd have shorted anything! The only thing i can think is that i (or the 9600GT) have managed to fry the motherboard somehow?!?!?

Any further input greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
25,111 Posts

I do know that this power supply with only 26 amps on the +12 will not run that 9600 video card. In fact, if this were a quality power supply (it is not), it would most likely struggle to begin to power your weaker ATI card, although a quality supply most likely would power it for a small length of time before it just gave up from lack of enough power. One must have a minimum...bare minimum of 26 amps to run any pci-e video card. Therefore, you simply most likely don't have enough power.

One thing a struggling power supply does it heat up. Your's most likely is heating up. I am assuming that you used the Artic Silver instructions for your thermal paste between the CPU and Heatsink.

At this point, I don't think the motherboard is fried. Do you know anyone that has a quality power supply you can try in the 650 watt range?

Need to be gone from the computer for a few, but will try to get back with some other thoughts in a while.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

So you think it's the PSU?

The Gainward Bliss comes with a HDD Power cable which combines 2 4-pin molex power supplies into the one for the 9600GT... So this should effectively double the power to 52 Amps!
I've also looked through all the documentation and i can't find anything to do with a minimum power requirement so i'll be bloody annoyed if that is the case!

I was looking at replacements from my local store (http://www.rlsupplies.co.uk/Products/products.asp?type=dept&DepartmentID=389&MID=) and no PSU's i can see output higher than 26 Amps?
If I was going to replace the PSU, what would you suggest?

Also... With regards to the CPU/Fan. Forgot to mention it's an Arctic Cooling Alpine7 Pro and the thermal compound was applied as needed.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts

We of course can't guarantee it is the power supply, but I think that is the issue from what I can see.

Your local store has this one that will run anything you want to run. It has 72 amps total on the four +12 lines (18 + 18 + 18 + 18), so more power than you can suck up with that video card.

http://www.rlsupplies.co.uk/products/product.asp?id=230306

The Seasonic is as good as it gets and I only use Seasonic supplies in my personal computers. They are powerful and the most quiet on the market. It is considered as superior quality to most supplies out there.

I don't know about the stores policy, but some here in the US, you can buy one and try it and if that doesn't solve your issue (bestbuy - Staples), then for a small restocking fee, you can return the supplly for your money back.

Oh, on the amps, when the power supply has more than one rail, you combine those for the total amperage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Funnily enough.. That's the one i was looking at!

I'll have to go up there tomorrow and see what the deal is with any returns policy as it's risky if they don't (the PSU costs more than the graphics card did)!

Incidentally I have ordered anoher motherboard anyway because the ASROCK is only PCI-E 4x which would really render spending £100 on the 9600GT kinda pointless. However, because i have two IDE HDD's and two DVD Drives i found myself restricted as most manufacturers now seem to make SATA motherboards with only one IDE (and i ordered it before i found out there were IDE to SATA converters!).

I've ended up going for an MS-7173 - Intel LGA775 Micro ATX Motherboard with RC410 Chipset!

Thanks for your help by the way! :beerchug:

·
Registered
25,111 Posts

Don't worry about the lack of IDE adapters, you can get an IDE aftermarket card that works to give you more than the board has on it and they are very reasonably priced.

I know that PSU is high priced, but you have to remember, it is one of the best that money can buy. Several of our techs (including me as I mentioned) are now only using Seasonic power supplies in their personal rigs because of their outstanding quality. If you want powerful while quiet, it simply can not be beat. A power supply like that will be cheaper over the long haul because of their reliability and efficiency (electric costs) that saves a lot of money. the warranty is also great and that company will stand behind their products.

When will you get your new board in? Let me know if I can help you any.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thanks again for the help... I'll hopefully be enquiring about/buying the PSU today if i can get away from work early enough!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Well the PSU sorted the problem of the computer shutting down (i bow to your wisdom - :pray:)... They didn't have the Seasonic though so i ended up gettings a 730 Watt Hiper Power which my local computer store engineers recommended and it seems to have done the trick (and has an extra 4 USB ports in back - nice touch!!!)

I am however, still having problems with slow startup and it keeps rebooting when windows eventually starts???

I'm currently trying to boot into safe mode and try flashing the latest BIOS to the motherboard and see if that improves things, but it's taking AGES!

Thanks again for the advice!

·
Registered
25,111 Posts

If you still have problems after you get the bios flashed, then let us know and we will see what we can sort out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

If you still have problems after you get the bios flashed, then let us know and we will see what we can sort out.
Gave up on trying to boot in safe mode after two hours!!! Think the motherboard must be fried!

I'll continue playing with it, but i think it may be a case of waiting till my replacement motherboard arrives and then we'll see!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

Strangest thing in the world... Tried it again out of desperation and it's booted up quick as you like!

Flashed BIOS update (even though everything seemed stable) and everything now appears to be running fine!

Who'd figure???

Thanks again for all your help Tumbleweed36... It's very much appreciated and no doubt i'll be asking for more help when i get my new motherboard!

·
Registered
25,111 Posts

Hey, glad to hear of your success and you are most welcome. Enjoyed working with you on this one. Now, don't be a stranger on the forum, stick around and enjoy some time with us. When you get the new board, if you need help, start a new thread and send me a PM with the link and I will come take a look. Enjoy the weekend.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.