Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a small problem here. A few days ago, I had my computers innards brutally clawed out (reason withheld).

As an unfortunate side effect, other then me cutting my hand trying to push everything back, my computer shuts down every now and then. I believe it might be an overheating issue, due to the pattern in which it reboots: If I were toleave it off for an hour, it boots for around 5 minutes before powering down. Were I to immedietely turn it on again, it would last barely 30 seconds and this period it lasts will continue to decline until the point it powers off the moment I switch it on unless I give it another hour or two to recover.

Sounds like theres a simple solution, right? Change the fans, clean system up or change thermal compounds? But here's the twist: there wasn't any problems like this before the assault. Another plausible problem might be my PSU, since the wires were pulled particularly badly there, though I can't back this up due to my lack of knowledge. That's only a speculation, I doubt that myself.

My sys specs:
Intel Duo Core @ 2.00 GHz
2 Gig RAM Kingston
Winfast PX 8600GT graphic card
Foxconn G31MX motherboard
Dunno about my PSU

Open for enquiries.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: PC boots/reboots erratically

Hey Presto, guess what?

If you spoke to me 6 minutes ago, you would be speaking to some sullen depressed kid with dark circles encircling his eyes. Well, now he looks like some hyperactive jerk high on crack. I fixed it! Unintentionally! Without knowing how!

Anyway, here's what I did do. I took out every bit of the PC's innards. I lovingly disassembled each piece, as much as possible, to each plastic piece, despite all the warning signs that came in 20 different languages. Individually, I washed up each one with hardcore ethanol. Reassembled each back, lay on top of it, taking a nap, and finally, turning it on.

Upon turning it on, the first thing I noticed was the speed (The fans were on at full speed now, mind you). That seemed like a good omen. So, I loaded copy of BackTrack4 from my USB (Since Ubuntu was complaining about me not doing a disk check for years) and played some games on Kongregate, before noticing that the machine was still doing fine.

Other then the fact that my machine is emitting a strong scent of ethanol, t'is all fine. You guys are awesome, techsupportforumers. Appreciated your quick, and active help.

Case solved. Onwards!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.