Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Dell Latitude C640 Laptop it had xp on it. I want to install win 98se
but, I can't seem to get it to partition. I'm using quickboot partition. It has no OS on it and no primary Partition.

I get Bios Bootstrap and Win 98 SE boot disk gets I/O error. I have my boot sequence DVD RW Floppy HD.

I have a IBM 20 GB HD

Do I need a new HD?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
Re: Partition and Win 98 se help

Hi,
You must great a fat partition to install windows98se.
Boot from CD-Rom with Win98SE CD installed.
When the screen loads choose to boot with CD-Rom Support
At the a> prompt type Fdisk
Select yes on the next two screens
On the next screen choose option 4 (This will show any partitions). If none exist hit ESC
and you come back to the original screen. If a partition does exist delete it.
on the next two screens choose option 1. This will create a fat32 partition choose yes if you wish to use the whole HD. When done hit ESC and reboot. On the next screen choose to start computer from CD. Win98 should prompt you to format the drive and your off to installing. You should not boot from CD anytime after this, just let the PC boot to the HD if the PC reboots.
This link may also guide you:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/221829
Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hi,
You must great a fat partition to install windows98se.
Boot from CD-Rom with Win98SE CD installed.
When the screen loads choose to boot with CD-Rom Support
At the a> prompt type Fdisk
Select yes on the next two screens
On the next screen choose option 4 (This will show any partitions). If none exist hit ESC
and you come back to the original screen. If a partition does exist delete it.
on the next two screens choose option 1. This will create a fat32 partition choose yes if you wish to use the whole HD. When done hit ESC and reboot. On the next screen choose to start computer from CD. Win98 should prompt you to format the drive and your off to installing. You should not boot from CD anytime after this, just let the PC boot to the HD if the PC reboots.
This link may also guide you:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/221829
Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Bill
Thanks Bill I'll give it a try tonight. The problem is I'm not having any luck even getting OS to start menu and I get a I/O error in Drive A with 98 SE boot disk in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Are you trying to dual boot XP and 98se?
Or just installing 98se on a clean harddrive.

Hard drive had XP on it but, deleted it. I just want 98SE on hard drive. So I wonder if I need new HD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Update I got it Bill thanks so much for your help. For some reason the CD would not read from my dvd rw drive I swapped to CD drive and I got it going.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.