Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running xp pro on a machine with 1GB of Ram. During high activity I am unable to not have a Page File without getting an error. Does anyone know what a good size for my Page File would be?

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Re: Page File Size

The page size is normally 1.5 times the size of physicaly installed RAM.

If you are having trouble with it cant you just put it on 'System Manager size'?

Cheers

·
Registered
101 Posts

I am running xp pro on a machine with 1GB of Ram. During high activity I am unable to not have a Page File without getting an error. Does anyone know what a good size for my Page File would be?
Does "unable to not have a page file without getting an error" mean that you have set the page file to disabled? This will definitely cause some system issues since writing things do disk is an essential part of the OS's job.

If you run out of physical memory and cannot swap anything to disk your applications will probably die rather quickly...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

You don't need a page file unless you have low RAM, I only have 1GB though. If I let the system do I would assume it is going to set it as a safe value and use too much memory on the disk. This machine only has a 40GB HDD on it, so that extra GB or two means a lot to me. Also I know that using a page file slows down your computer due to the fact that it has to read off the disk. I'm not sure if having a larger page file will make it slower or not. I'm going to try 1.5GB and see how it runs.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.