Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My workmate sent me an e-mail and quickly learned it went to many people in her address book.

She has XP Home on a laptop and Outlook Express.

She works remotely from me and I can get more info if needed.

She reports that in the TO: box she entered the first few letters of my name and my full name popped up as it always does and she says she sent the e-mail to me as she always does and did not enter any further names or make any reference to the Address Book.

When I received the e-mail, my name was first, followed by many other names. In her Sent Messages box the TO: line shows all the other names.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

She insists that she did not do anything different than she always does.

Any chance Facebook has something to do with this?

I asked her to see if the message went to her entire addressbook or just part of it, and if only part of it, whether there is some pattern among the recipients. She'll report back in a few hours.

Obviously, we need to get to the bottom of this!

R2

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There's always a little more to the story.....

I was concerned that a worm or virus did this misdeed. The email had an attachment and I know that's how viruses are spread so I was very suspicious.

Overly suspicious.

I sat at the sending computer and studied the 'sent message'.

Only about 25% of the contacts in the addressbook were sent the message.

My workmate noted that most of these people had been active in a certain project at about the same time.

....and then I found out she had sent a :cc to herself on her home computer.

....and then we discovered that in her addressbook was a group with a name starting with the same letter as her own name......

....and.....you guessed it, in the cc: line she must have accidentally listed the group instead of her own name.....

.......she was in a hurry to get the task done......and I think we found a logical explanation for the result......

Live and learn!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.