Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
mfmcgreal
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dell Latitude C840 Laptop only has 3% free disk space left on my local drive, well 288MB free space from 9.36GB.

Can you suggest any immediate actions to take which can increase my free disk-space to at least 15%. I tried defragmenting the disk the other day, however it only had 14% free space, meaning i couldn't run the action. Yet today, it's shot down to 3% all of a sudden. The only installations i've made over the last few days is updating my drivers, however i haven't even finished that process yet.

Any suggestions ?

·
Decessit
68,880 Posts
Re: Only 3% Free Space on C Drive

Hi you will know more of what is there but post back as I may not be the only person to offer help,the more eyes on it the better

·
mfmcgreal
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Well firstly, i have some folders in program files from past programs like AVG, Stardock etc which i have previously uninstalled and no longer use, however Windows won't let me delete the folders.

Regarding the results from that program, one thing that stood out was a BricoPack folder which belonged to a Vista theme i installed a while back, it's taking up 60mb, however i recently uninstalled it from my system, so can i delete this file without any worry ? Also the AVG folder was taken up alot of space, despite me not using the program anymore.

·
Registered
730 Posts

10GB is VERY restrictive these days. At some point you might want to look into buying a larger hard drive for the laptop, or maybe a small external hard drive (Hell, USB sticks come bigger than that these days) to store some of your data on.

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts

Never makes sense to me to download more stuff just to clean up the drive when Windows has all the builtin tools you need without an install.

For example consider Disk Cleanup off the accessories/system tools menu.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
5,760 Posts

Open the run command and type %temp% and delete the contents in that folder. 1 or 2 may not be deletable so just skip them. Right click your c drive and select properties and run disk cleanup. After it finishes its initial scan select more options and cleanup your system restore points. You'll loose your restore points, but hard drive space is more important right now.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
5,760 Posts

Disl cleanup doesn't touch that folder. Run %temp% and check the files in there and then run disk cleanup. After disk cleanup run %temp% and the files you just seen are still there. It's a temp folder and not Temperary Internet Files folder.

·
mfmcgreal
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thanks everyone for the brilliant feedback.

I've managed to get the free disk space up from 288mb to 1.09 GB following the advice given. I want to now run the " Defragment Now " tool, however you need a minimum 15% free space to run the tool, and i only have 11%, so any additional ideas on how to get up to that 15% free space ?

Thanks.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
5,760 Posts

When you download updates from Windows Updates it use a folder called Software Distribution and in that folder is a folder called Download. You can delete only whats in the Download Folder, do not touch anything in Software Distribution. The folder is in your c drive in Windows. Open C drive then Windows then Software Distribution then Downloads and once in there select all, hold the shift key while deleting. Holding the shift key will bypass the Recycle Bin to remove them. Again only delete whats in the downloads folder. That should free up another 800mb-1.5ig. It won't affect your ability to use windows update.

·
mfmcgreal
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Unfortunately it didn't free up that much space, as before deleting the contents of that folder, i had 1.09GB free, after deleting the contents, i now have 1.13GB, which is only 12% free space, which still isn't enough for me to run the " Defragment Now " tool.

Thanks alot though.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,253 Posts

Did you empty the recycle bin after deleteing the files? You could always offload enough of your documents/music/photos to an external drive to free up enough space to defrag

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.