Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, hope someone out there can help, I'm at my wits end!

Mobo - ECS GeForce6100SM-M2
Processor - AMD Athlon 6400 dual core
PSU - Jeantech ATX12v2.0
OS - XP Home SP2

No other add-ons, using on board sound and graphics

I've been trying to fix boot problems. Since trying to (unsuccessfully) remove CMOS battery to clear it, I've been getting the "No signal" message on the monitor.

The processor fan is working and power is definitely getting through to screen.
I've swapped the monitor to another machine and it works fine. Conversely I've tried putting a working monitor onto the troublesome machine and get the same error.

Help! I'm guessing I've somehow knackered the on-board graphics or worse still, the mobo!?

Thanks
Paul :4-dontkno

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
Re: No signal

Reseting your cmos may have triggered some drive settings to revert back to stock which if not set properly can somtimes cause a pc to not post. Try bench testing the machine , this simply means removing all non essential parts it needs to post , drives , extra cards , extra ram sticks , ect... It will rule out weather the machine just has a conflict or if something is truly broken.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for the help guys.
I realise pcie is PCI Express but don't understand what you mean about being underpowered for a pcie system - does this just mean the mobo type?
The processor fan is working so does this rule out the power supply being down?
I've removed all components except the extra RAM and that made no difference - I'll try that and let you know.
Cheers
Paul :smile:

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts

basically you need a psu putting out 26a on the 12v line for pcie

your psu puts out a max of 10a if new probably around 8a available if older then less than 8a
fans don't pull much power it is not an indicator in this case

are you staying with onboard video or are you planning to add a card at some stage

cmos reset

turn the computer off
remove the power lead from the back
take the side off
remove the cmos battery
move the cmos jumper from pins 1 and 2 to pin 2 and 3 and the back to pins 1 and 2
reinsert the battery
put the side on
replug in the power lead
boot the computer

there can be 2 solder points you touch with a screwdriver
2 pins you touch with a screwdriver or use a jumper
a cmos clear switch or button
there will be a diagram and instructions in your manual

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Dai

I intend to stick with on-board video - if it's still working!
Taken out memory cards, removed cmos & cleared as suggested.
No difference, still no video.

Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Been researching PSUs, think I understand a bit more now! Are you saying that the 12v line (4 pin) feeds the processor but the CPU fan is fed from a lower voltage line in the PSU? And if this is the case, presumably you're suggesting that the fan COULD still be working even if the 12v line is down?

If so, can I test my PSU somehow?

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts

the 12v @ 12v is normal
the lowest spec for it is 11.4v but once it deteriorates below 11.9 volts you start seeing the first indications of problems
i.e.
unexplained reboots,bsod's

eventually as it gets lower the computer does not boot,the fans may run and the
h/drives spin but not enough power to boot

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Hi

Just thought I'd let you guys know the problem has been resolved, thanks to your help. I got my PSU tested at the local PC shop. The 24 pin tested fine but the 12V line they said was "intermittent".

I got a 600W PSU for £30, installed it and the system booted fine. The CMOS had returned to defaults because I'd cleared it using the jumpers, but no problem there.

All seems to be ok, thanks for your help. Hope this is useful to someone else out there.
:wave:
Paul

·
TSF - Enthusiast
12,841 Posts

Too bad the PSu you got most likely isn't much better than your old 300w PSU

you should get this PSU

Corsair 550w
£69.64
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132563

Its probably twice the quality of your your current 600w PSU and it should provide more amps on the 12v line

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.