Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Vista. I am trying to set it so that when I put my laptop to sleep it will ask for a password to log back in when I wake it up. Under "PowerOptions > SystemSettings> Power Protection On Wakeup" I have it set to "Require a password."

However, when I wake up my laptop it does not ask for a password but instead loads right back up to the desktop. When I leave the computer idle for a long period of time and it locks itself/hybernates/whatever it does ask for a password, and I do have a password saved on the computer.

Is there something I am missing here? I'd like for the password prompt to start working.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: No Password Prompt When Vista Awakes Though Password Enabled

Hi--thanks for responding.

I reset the HP recommended power plan to default settings, which is what I think you meant, and all my updates are up to date, and the Vista SPs are installed. Unfortunately the password prompt still isn't working.

·
TSF Enthusiast
1,292 Posts

Hi-

What Version of Vista do you have (home premium, professional, etc.)?

As it is possible that this could be something that must be changed in the group policy.

Regards-

Mark

·
TSF Enthusiast
1,292 Posts

nope, group policy editor isn't available in home premium

I'll see if i can find anything that might help via the registry.

Regards-

Mark

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I figured out how to fix it!

Power settings --> Edit Power settings --> Advanced Power Settings --> Additional Settings.

Because both 'battery' and 'plugged in' had been set to 'no,' the computer didn't listen when I tried to change the password prompt via the 'require a password on wakeup.'

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.