Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
So I've been browsing the forums hoping to find a solution to my problem. When I tried to boot up my PC running Windows 7 professional, it booted up normally but then once loaded only showed the background, without any icons or even the start menu. I can right click on the back ground and receive a menu from which I can navigate to the control panel and see all of my options, so my computer is functional. Faced with this problem, I naturally control-alt-deleted my way into task manager, only to find that when I did that, I came up with only a black screen with my cursor on it. If I move up and down with the arrow keys and press enter for a while, I can get back to the wallpaper. I tried experimenting with this, but nothing has worked. I can boot up in safe mode, which works fine. Task manager is totally functional there. Everyone solution that I've seen to problems similar to this has required me to have access to task manager which I don't have, except in safe mode.
I've run several anti-virus and Malwarebytes scans, but that has done nothing.
Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
41,120 Posts
Re: No icons, no start menu, no task manager.

Boot into Safe Mode and do a System Restore to a time before this happened.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I tried to do that, but the problem is that the only restore points I have are from after I got the computer. It was previously in the shop getting work done on it, then it was working fine at my dad's work, but not when I got it back home. I tried to restore it, but it seems that no restore points were created in the time between it being in the shop to getting to my home. And now I've been informed that the OS was only installed on Friday, so I assume that would account for the lack of restore points.
Is there anything else I can do?

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts

Seems your profile may be corrupted.

I would go to the link in my signature Virus, Spyware, Malware help.

You may have malware messing up Windows Explorer. I have seen this problem myself.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,745 Posts

Hi, you say the computer was recently in the shop, I assume for repair or did you just purchase it? Either way I would return it to the shop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Actually I just managed to fix the problem I think. Seems like my computer was set up so that it could support multiple monitors, which means that everything was there, it was just in the void where the other monitor should have been. I had to fiddle around blindly in that place but eventually I was able to drag my task bar over to the monitor and then from there it was fine. I just set the computer to single monitor support and its been fine. Thanks for everyones help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.