Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, i just put together a computer (first full build) that ive been building up for about a year now, here are some of the specs i know off hand, ill post pictures also:

Motherboard: MSI 915g Combo
Processor: intel P4 Core 2 Duo
PSU: BFG Tech, output 650 Max
Graphics: GeFORCE 8600gt (PCI-E) 1024MB DDR2+DVI-I+HDTV OUT+CRT+HDCP. (exactly as on lable) I'm totally unsure about this graphics card, i thought it was going to be Nvidia, but the lable says "Sparkle Computer CO." i bought it off a friend new.
Ram: 1gig ddr

and i have multiple hard drives.

i FINALLY went out and bought the last tidbits to wrap this thing up, i installed the processor myself (and everything else for that matter) with the thermal paste, it all went fine, in my opinion. But when i hooked it up to my monitor everything seemed to power up, CD rom drive, processor heatsink/fan thing, power supply fan, but the monitor stayed black, i know i should at least get a bios screen, or somethin, but i get nothing, so i tried just using my onboard video, same result, than a different monitor, still nothing. The last thing i tried was no hard drive, no graphics card, just power and onboard graphics, still nothing :4-dontkno

here are some photos, im unsure if they'll help, and i appologize for the quality:

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
Re: no display

Find out the exact cpu your using. Also the ram. When a pc doesn't post even with only the bare essentials you either haven't seated something properly or the parts are incompatible.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

i just finished the bench test, still nothing :[
here's my CPU

intel '05 e400
intel CORE 2 DUO
sla95 MALAY
2.20GHz/2m/800/06
L812A764

i have to sticks of DDR 184PIN
pc2100 256MB

these two were taken off a working computer, my (2) 512 DDR sticks of ram are being tested on a friends comp.

here's a link to my MB specs
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=11495

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

lol i never knew my motherboard was that old. If that is the case how do i get around it/update it?

i only have 1 cpu that's supported/fits in the slot. (the rest are the old school, the pins are on the chip)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: No Display on startup

pull the ram? i'll give it a try, unfortunately i went on a work trip up to san fran and my desktops at home, i'll update when i get back. I'm gonna need to find the mic/beeper that plugs onto the motherboard right?

someone on another post said it may be motherboard updates, its a bit dated back to 2004 and it hasnt been hooked up in 4 years

·
Registered
25,110 Posts

Most likely a bad motherboard or it could be a power supply. I think it was new if I read correctly, but even new ones can tank on you. Might try to see if you can try this one in another rig and see if it works and if so, change the motherboard.

·
Registered
83 Posts

emosun is prolly right about the cpu being the problem, nonetheless...

here's the manufacturer's spec sheet: http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=586 (yours was a review from 2004)

here's the (non-)post beep chart: http://www.msicomputer.com/support/sup_tshoot.asp

if youre getting some beeps at startup theres a chart that should identify the error. also, the mobo beeps on its own with the internal system speaker; it sounded like you were thinking it would beep through your desktop speakers.

since youre recycling older (SD?)RAM im wondering if that is where the problem is. i know the problem is normally when you put it into OEMs, but im wondering if you could provide more info into the RAM beyond the 184-pin. msi charts these as compatible:
• Supports two DDR1 SDRAM & two DDR2 SDRAM memory modules.
• Supports Dual channel DDR1 & DDR2 memory architecture.
• Supports DDR2 533/400MHz and up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.